Boo! or...?

AdamK

With a team as consistent as our Os, even a three game losing streak stands out as a terrible terrible thing, let alone longer ones... it's easy to get down when perspective goes temporarily insane. 

Watching these last few games, 2 of which having been broadcast to much larger audiences, what stands out to me is just how supportive the fans have been. People are starting chants on their own, "O R I O L E S" cheers are being picked up on TV loud and clear, and people are supportive throughout the 9 innings.

For fan's of the team, we all are so much closer to nuances around how they've gotten to this point and why they might be struggling "lately".  But for those who are catching meaningful games on TV between teams who matter, their take away from what they've seen (and heard?) is naturally going to be through a different lense.

Now I don't watch all baseball. I watch my son Calvin play (he's 9), and I watch the Orioles. I am unconditionally infatuated with both. Basically... you've got to be family.

So I wondered:

How might observing our support of the team look to outsiders?

Do you think people notice the crowd in the way I described above?

Have you heard, or participated in, openly booing our team? It's your right too, I'm curious. (I'm not taking about ownership or officiating/bad calls kind of stuff, I'm talking about onfield play stuff.)

How does your experience/feeling seem when compared to what you perceive elsewhere? 

I don’t think I have ever booed the Orioles. I grew up among Phillies fans who regularly booed their players simply for trying and failing, and I always found that distasteful. Now if a player doesn’t try, like that time when B.J. Upton loafed after a base hit in the gap, or when Sean Casey singled to left but got thrown out at first because he thought the ball was caught and didn’t run? That you boo. And jerks on other teams, or Cito? Of course.

Out of curiosity, @AdamK, is your son named after Ripken, or “& Hobbes”, or Coolidge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I don’t think I have ever booed the Orioles. I grew up among Phillies fans who regularly booed their players simply for trying and failing, and I always found that distasteful. Now if a player doesn’t try, like that time when B.J. Upton loafed after a base hit in the gap, or when Sean Casey singled to left but got thrown out at first because he thought the ball was caught and didn’t run? That you boo. And jerks on other teams, or Cito? Of course.

Out of curiosity, @AdamK, is your son named after Ripken, or “& Hobbes”, or Coolidge?

I’m guessing Coolidge.🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Agree with this. I've never understood those fanbases that boo their team and/or players. I mean if they do some egregious non-sports related thing, okay. But booing your team because they try and fail, just never made sense to me.

• Upvote 1

I must admit there were antics from Manny that I was booing at home. I don't think I ever booed Davis but that felt like a hard test.

@InsideCoroner RE: my son... I would say my fondness for the name was equally shaped by #8 and Watterson's comics, but he's not named after them if that makes sense. I love them both but he's still my son, not theirs :)

Though when he was introduced to my own dad, his question was "after silent 'Cal' (Coolidge)?"

Edited by AdamK
  • Like 1