So, do we leave Felix OFF the post season roster?

Roy Firestone

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we downplay side sessions. I don’t need to see him throw an inning against the Nats to put him on the playoff roster. Especially with the rule that we can essentially IL a player during a series and replace him.

He’s got until Oct 7th to keep healing.  We get a huge roster for the playoffs. Plenty of room to keep him. Even if he can just air it out for 1 IP. 

Side sessions will tell you whether or not the elbow is holding up, but nothing about how effective he is. I think we have to see him in a game this week, preferably two, and see if he's still able to slam the door. And I am not suggesting putting him out there T9 with a 1 run lead, just demonstrate that he can still set the side down in order, or in 4 batters or less like he'd done all season. It can and probably should happen with a +/- 5 run lead if we find ourselves in that situation, but I do think he has to see some live action before the post season. 

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

Side sessions will tell you whether or not the elbow is holding up, but nothing about how effective he is. I think we have to see him in a game this week, preferably two, and see if he's still able to slam the door. And I am not suggesting putting him out there T9 with a 1 run lead, just demonstrate that he can still set the side down in order, or in 4 batters or less like he'd done all season. It can and probably should happen with a +/- 5 run lead if we find ourselves in that situation, but I do think he has to see some live action before the post season. 

I don't know why it has to be mop-up if everything is clinched. In fact, it's probably better if he pitches in a tight spot to get back into the flow a bit. Bottom line is he has to get in a game. You can only tell so much from a side session. 

18 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Is it a given? Will the Orioles risk him in meaningless games this week to check his effectiveness and see if he's a viable option? I say no. But we dont know what he looks like in side sessions. Personally, I think if you add Means as a starter for post season, you MIGHT be able to put Gibson, Kremer, Wells and Flaherty in the pen...and wont miss Felix at all....I hope they make a decision on Felix..and if he has to get surgery...we could make a trade for a good closer..but it might take Santander and a prospect...Remember that Tony is a FA after next season...

If we really want to solve our 2024 closer problem, just spend the money needed to sign Josh Hader!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, vab said:

I don't know why it has to be mop-up if everything is clinched. In fact, it's probably better if he pitches in a tight spot to get back into the flow a bit. Bottom line is he has to get in a game. You can only tell so much from a side session. 

Sure. If we've already clinched, send him out whenever you want. Forgot about that - thanks.

Unless of course we're still able to surpass the Braves. Does that do anything for us? Not sure I've seen a clear answer on that yet. Most people still think the WS winning league gets HFA, which hasn't been the case for a bit.

I don't think it's determined yet. But there's a part of me that would love to see him come back for the ALCS (I'm going to Game 1 if they get there) and would love to see the place go crazy when his introduction happens and he successfully closes out the game for the win. That would be an epic moment. 

That said, I do think this team NEEDS him to go all the way. But I do think they can get through the ALDS without him given the rest they'll have. It's hard to expect someone to come out and dominate fresh off injury though. Still, it would be a great story. 

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Unless his stuff is 100% I'm not really interested. If he's sitting 98 on the fastball, he's Bryan Baker with cooler entrance music.

Assuming command, if Felix can pump 98 he's a lock to be our best reliever right now. Not as dominant as he was at 101, but come on.. . that's not what separates him from Baker.

Of course, I'm still very skeptical that anything fruitful will come out of this. I'm not getting my hopes up.