Coby Mayo named MVP of the Eastern League....this kid is coming on fast..and maybe we see him on the Oriole roster next season

Roy Firestone

ll, Mayo slashed .340/.467/.711 in June, leading the Eastern League in both on-base percentage and slugging percentage. While he added a league-leading eight home runs, as well as 10 doubles, 18 runs batted in, and 19 r

Minor League Baseball, the Eastern League, and the Bowie Baysox announced today that Baysox third baseman COBY MAYO has earned the Eastern League’s Most Valuable Player award for the 2023 season. Mayo, the Baltimore Orioles’ number four prospect according to MLB Pipeline, is the fourth Baysox player to win the award in the team’s 30-year history, joining Calvin Pickering (1998), Lou Montanez (2008), and Garabez Rosa (2017).

The 21-year-old was the Opening Day third baseman for the Baysox, going 1-for-3 with two walks and an RBI double in Bowie’s 8-0 win to begin the year. He collected four RBI in the Baysox opening weekend series in Hartford, including his first home run of the season during the second game of the year, a solo shot. Mayo finished the first month of the season with a .265 batting average and three home runs, collecting hits in 14-of-19 games played.

After a brief 0-for-7 start to the month of May, Coby shifted into gear for his award-winning campaign by going 3-for-4 with three RBI, eventually slashing .312/.414/.595 over the remaining 23 games in May. Another four home runs and 16 RBI would push him up to seven homers and 23 RBI on the season total. A 1-for-4 performance on the road in Harrisburg on May 13 began another impressive feat for Mayo, as he would reach base safely in 33-consecutive games to June 20. It was the longest on-base streak for a Baysox batter in 2023 and the second-longest streak in the Eastern League.

June solidified Mayo’s resume for the award. The right-hander was the most feared hitter in the league over a two-week stretch between June 13 and June 25. In a seven-game series with Richmond starting on June 13, Mayo went 10-for-24 at the plate with three home runs and eight RBI. Leaving the yard in three-consecutive games between June 15 and June 17, his most prominent came in the middle game, as Mayo slugged a walk-off solo home run in the ninth inning to deliver Bowie a 3-2 win. As Bowie moved on to a six-game series against the Altoona Curve in Pennsylvania, Mayo continued to dominate opposing pitching. He went 12-for-26 at the plate, smashing another three home runs, and driving in five more runs. The Eastern League honored Mayo its Player of the Week award following both series, the only player in the League to win the award consecutively. Overall, Mayo slashed .340/.467/.711 in June, leading the Eastern League in both on-base percentage and slugging percentage. While he added a league-leading eight home runs, as well as 10 doubles, 18 runs batted in, and 19 runs scored, Mayo was a clear decision to win the League Player of the Month award, the tenth recipient of the award in Baysox history.

uns scored, Mayo was a clear decision to win the League Player of the Month award, the tenth recipient of the award in Baysox history.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I pretty much take it as a given that Mayo will make his major league debut sometime next year.  He’s got 267 PA in AAA.  It’s just a matter of when the right opportunity comes along.  

Notably, he never played any OF this year.  He did get 28 games at 1B along with 102 at 3B.

I am assuming this gets moved to the Minors board but I'll post here anyway. The O's have so much infield flexibility. There are several ways to go with Henderson at SS, Holiday at 2B, Mayo at 3B and Westburg as a everyday utility guy. But there are several other ways to go that would add Ortiz and Mountcastle to the mix. Should be an interesting off season for trades.

I'm not suggesting this simply because Mayo is coming through the system as a power hitting 3B and that because he and Troy Glaus are both 6'5 but he looks an AWFUL lot like Troy Glaus at the plate. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/coby-mayo-s-solo-home-run-x0116

https://www.milb.com/norfolk/video/coby-mayo-s-19th-home-run?t=t568-default-vtp

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I feel like Roy has an affinity for Mayo. 

Am I wrong!??!?!

This appears to be the 3rd Coby Mayo thread he's authored in Orioles Talk in the past four months. Seems to go out of his way to bring his name up in threads. Come to think of it... how do we know @Roy Firestone isn't Coby Mayo, himself?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I'm not suggesting this simply because Mayo is coming through the system as a power hitting 3B and that because he and Troy Glaus are both 6'5 but he looks an AWFUL lot like Troy Glaus at the plate. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/coby-mayo-s-solo-home-run-x0116

https://www.milb.com/norfolk/video/coby-mayo-s-19th-home-run?t=t568-default-vtp

I'd be fine and dandy with Coby having a Troy Glaus-like career!  :)

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

How did the other three make out?? The O's will win close to or over 100 games this season without being a "feared" power hitting team. Many feared power hitting teams will be on vacation in six days. Power does not always equate to wins.

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I feel like Roy has an affinity for Mayo. 

Am I wrong!??!?!

you are not..the family is close to me...I was the first to interview Coby on the day he was drafted...His story is unbelievable...maybe you can find it on this page's archives...