Lopez DFA, Zimmerman recalled

Hank Scorpio

Seems odd that the O's

1) Picked Lopez up at a time where he wasn't playoff eligible (with an obvious motive of having team control to get him off season fixed and then signed in his last arb year in 2024)

2) Held on to him for most of an ineffective month when there would have been better strategic opportunities to DFA him weeks ago, only to

3) DFA him with two barely-mean-anything games left in the season.

🤷‍♂️  

Edited by Morgan423
  • Upvote 1

O's picked Lopez up because they needed help in the pen in September.  They knew Lopez and he pitched well for them in 2022.   But it did not work out.   He was no better with the O's than with the Twins or Marlins.   So now they have DFA'd him.  

He will be a free agent and be off the O's 40 man roster.  If he finds a major league contract this off season fine.  If not it would not surprise me that they offer him a AAA contract and continue to try to help him get back to where he was in the first half on 2022.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

The best time to DFA him was two weeks ago. The second best time is now.

These last two games are meaningless and he’s not gonna be on the playoff roster, so I guess I’m not seeing the logic here. I thought the whole point of bringing him back was to see if they could work with him next spring and see if they could get him back to what he was last year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

These last two games are meaningless and he’s not gonna be on the playoff roster, so I guess I’m not seeing the logic here. I thought the whole point of bringing him back was to see if they could work with him next spring and see if they could get him back to what he was last year. 

Elias is going to move several players off the 40 man roster in the next couple of months.   This is just the first to make room on the 40 man roster.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's picked Lopez up because they needed help in the pen in September.  They knew Lopez and he pitched well for them in 2022.   But it did not work out.   He was no better with the O's than with the Twins or Marlins.   So now they have DFA'd him.  

He will be a free agent and be off the O's 40 man roster.  If he finds a major league contract this off season fine.  If not it would not surprise me that they offer him a AAA contract and continue to try to help him get back to where he was in the first half on 2022.

Offer him a AAA contract with an escape clause if he thinks he is doing well but the Orioles dont bring him up by the certain points.