Lopez DFA, Zimmerman recalled

Hank Scorpio

36 minutes ago, dystopia said:

These last two games are meaningless and he’s not gonna be on the playoff roster, so I guess I’m not seeing the logic here. I thought the whole point of bringing him back was to see if they could work with him next spring and see if they could get him back to what he was last year. 

Weird move. I don't see why they would pick him up if they weren't going to try and fix him. At least he didn't kill us but I would have preferred just keeping Irvin.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Weird move. I don't see why they would pick him up if they weren't going to try and fix him. At least he didn't kill us but I would have preferred just keeping Irvin.

Perfectly logical moves to both picking up Lopez and  DFAing him IMO.

He acquired both Fuji and Lopez as relievers that could strike out batters.  Neither really distinguished themselves with their control in their time with the O's this season.  

Letting Lopez go is just moving a fringe player off the 40 man roster.  Elias probably feels the demand for Lopez this off season will be low.

It makes perfect sense to do this because you need someone to eat innings the next game or 2. 

You can put Zim out there and he can give up 20 runs in 5 innings and it means nothing but you want those 5 innings and not have someone else out there you need that could get hurt.

Plus, Lopez can’t be on the postseason roster, so it doesn’t matter.  They were going to non tender him in the offseason anyway. Probably re-sign him but not for anything  close  to what he would get in arb.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

Seems odd that the O's

1) Picked Lopez up at a time where he wasn't playoff eligible (with an obvious motive of having team control to get him off season fixed and then signed in his last arb year in 2024)

2) Held on to him for most of an ineffective month when there would have been better strategic opportunities to DFA him weeks ago, only to

3) DFA him with two barely-mean-anything games left in the season.

🤷‍♂️  

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

DFAing Lopez now makes no sense. Made sense a two weeks ago, but not now. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Why not?  He can’t pitch in the postseason, so whatever help he have over the last month is irrelevant.  It’s really a complete nothingburger.

This^^^ 

He was most likely not available the last two games after pitching last night and Zimmerman provides some length. If Zimmerman pitches tonight he will be optioned and then Irvin will probably be recalled for Sunday.

33 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He acquired both Fuji and Lopez as relievers that could strike out batters.  Neither really distinguished themselves with their control in their time with the O's this season.  

Letting Lopez go is just moving a fringe player off the 40 man roster.  Elias probably feels the demand for Lopez this off season will be low.

I think that’s the logic behind the move too, I doubt Lopez is getting claimed by any team right now and then getting tendered an MLB contract for next season.

I think the intention is there to bring in Lopez for 2024 in the hopes of fixing him, but it’s not a top priority of Elias. The whole point of bringing in Lopez this month was to see if they could catch lightning in a bottle and it didn’t work out. 

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jorge's K/9 is under 8 and he is giving up a massive amount of HR. I am a big fan of Elias overall but let's just admit that was an awful move that at best accomplished nothing. Fortunately the damage done was minimal but I didn't see the logic then and dont see it now. I think it was just a desperate move to try and make up for Bautista after failing to sign a veteran high leverage RP.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jorge's K/9 is under 8 and he is giving up a massive amount of HR. I am a big fan of Elias overall but let's just admit that was an awful move that at best accomplished nothing. Fortunately the damage done was minimal but I didn't see the logic then and dont see it now. I think it was just a desperate move to try and make up for Bautista after failing to sign a veteran high leverage RP.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You could say that again. 

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

These last two games are meaningless and he’s not gonna be on the playoff roster, so I guess I’m not seeing the logic here. I thought the whole point of bringing him back was to see if they could work with him next spring and see if they could get him back to what he was last year. 

They aren't going to pay him arb 3 rates to see if they can fix him. Pretty sure they were going to do this at some point anyway and maybe try to bring him back for less money