Really good article on O'hearn, authored by Brit Ghiroli

Jim'sKid26

https://theathletic.com/4930538/2023/10/05/orioles-ryan-ohearn-success/

"When O’Hearn showed up at spring training, the Orioles’ trio of hitting coaches — Ryan Fuller, Matt Borgschulte and Cody Asche — didn’t just have a plan; they had a whole portfolio on how to help O’Hearn improve.

They fixed his posture first, eliminating the hunching that allowed him to drive the ball to left field really well but exposed him with anything inside. He started hitting balls on a backspin to right field. They worked with him on understanding how to hit breaking balls better, in the air and not pounded into the ground."

The insight into how the hitting coaches work is really interesting. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Given that he is one for his last 32, is he going back to his old habits?

Or was he wearing down after a long season when he'd never been used that much in the past?  Hopefully, this week off will be a help in that regard since most of our guys have never played as much as they have this year.

Edited by NCRaven

20 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Given that he is one for his last 32, is he going back to his old habits?

It's a fair question, but I'd also suspect there are a number of likely causes not associated with regression. A review of his at bats over that stretch might answer that question. 

I thought the article gave an interesting insight into the psyche of the team and the way the coaches interact with the players. I'd love to get a better insight into what the pitching coaches are doing to help the pitchers. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do think we have an excellent coaching staff.   Getting players from poorly coached teams and coaching ‘em up is an excellent way to get cheap value.  The dynastic O’s teams did that with great frequency.  

It really helps to have guys who are coachable, either because they're young or because they see the need to improve. (One interesting by-product of a low, low payroll.) I have to think most teams have capable coaches, but they can't help much if the players won't listen to them. 

After Hicks left the Y's and performed well with the O's, my Yankee-fan friends here all griped about how bad a hitting coach the Yankees have. And soonafter, contrary to their usual style, the hitting coach was fired. What aspect exactly--content of his advice, rapport with the hitters, etc.--was the problem I don't know.