DL Hall's future?? Reliever or Starter?

Bird Lady

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’d definitely keep him in the bullpen. He has shown that he can be an asset there and this team is light on relief without Bautista. Cano just seems like an aberration so I don’t think I’m willing to count on him to be quite as dominant next year. 

On that note, I’d keep Wells in the bullpen too. Both Wells and Hall can be 2+ inning type of relievers, which can be really helpful since the starters aren’t going deep into games. 

Basically every starter could go to the pen and look like an asset out there.

The question isn’t, can he help in the pen. The question is, can he be an effective ML starting pitcher?

So far, the evidence we have says no. That doesn’t mean the book is closed on it but his time is getting short. 

• Upvote 1

It depends on what the O's do with their rotation over the offseason. I'm comfortable with Bradish, Gray-Rod, and Means, and Kremer is fine for the back end of the rotation. But if the O's don't make a significant move for the last spot in the rotation, they'll need some fire power and flexibility to round out their rotation. Hall is a guy that they may be able to bounce around as an innings eater.

I'd like to keep Wells in the bullpen, but he's probably earned the right to compete for a rotation spot with how he performed in the first half of the season and how good he looked to end the season. But I'd really like to see him be a late innings guy for 2024. I'm just not a fan of his as a starter, and I think he has the ability to be a top top reliever. And with Bautista out, there's an opportunity there.

Edited by dzorange

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why limit him to closer? If he goes to the pen, he has shown us that he can get 6 or more outs.

A fireman type role where he pitches anywhere in the pen and gives us 80-100 innings would be great. If the rotation experiment is over, that is the role im putting him in.

Literally no reliever throws 100 innings anymore.  84.1 was the league high this year.   Only 5 relievers threw 80+ innings.  

Last year, Keegan Akin threw 46 innings in the first half of the season, frequently throwing 2-3 innings.  He began to lose effectiveness in the second half and Hyde had to back off him.  Since then, he’s never really put anyone in the Akin role.   Hyde seems to like using more relievers for shorter outings rather than have one guy eat 2-3 innings and then sit for a couple of days.  Frankly, I disagree with that approach, but that certainly seems to be how Hyde handled things this year.  

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Literally no reliever throws 100 innings anymore.  84.1 was the league high this year.   Only 5 relievers threw 80+ innings.  

Last year, Keegan Akin threw 46 innings in the first half of the season, frequently throwing 2-3 innings.  He began to lose effectiveness in the second half and Hyde had to back off him.  Since then, he’s never really put anyone in the Akin role.   Hyde seems to like using more relievers for shorter outings rather than have one guy eat 2-3 innings and then sit for a couple of days.  Frankly, I disagree with that approach, but that certainly seems to be how Hyde handled things this year.  

I’m aware of all of this..but just because it’s not done doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. No one did openers before either…until someone did it.

10 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I know @Tony-OHdoesn't agree but I really want to see Hall in the rotation next season. 

I agree with you. I really want to see Hall in the rotation. First, it reminds me of how the Braves brought Spencer Strider along. They put him in the bullpen to start him off in the Big Leagues. Then once he got experience against top quality hitters, they put him in the starting rotation, and he's been great ever since. I think we can do that with DL Hall. Hall is an amazing athlete.

And then there is also the fact that we need left handed starters in our rotation. At this moment, the only hope we have of having a good one is a 30+ year old who just came off Tommy john surgery. Not a guarantee Means can pitch a full season. DL Hall could really provide some balance in the starting rotation.

Maybe if they were to go out and sign Blake Snell, they could give Hall the opportunity to be the closer, but otherwise I think Hall should be in the starting rotation, ala the Spencer Strider blueprint.

It's good to want, but Hall has proven his best role is in the pen. I've showed many times why he's not a good fit for the rotation.

At the end of the day, the Orioles will have following starting pitching candidates not counting trades or signings.

1. Bradish
2. Rodriguez
3. Means
4. Kramer
5. Wells
6. McDermott
7. Povich

And I still think they add a veteran starter.

This team needs reliever that can give multiple innings and that's what Hall can do.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to DL Hall's future?? Reliever or Starter?
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m aware of all of this..but just because it’s not done doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. No one did openers before either…until someone did it.

I’m not saying I don’t like the idea.  I already said I don’t think Hyde lets guys pitch multiple innings enough.  

When I was doing my write-ups of the O’s winningest teams, I noticed that 100+ inning relievers used to be common.  Tippy Martinez threw 103 IP for the ‘83 Series runners.  Sammy Stewart threw 144 innings that year, including one start and 57 relief appearances.  Somewhere along the line, guys like that went the way of the dodo bird.  Not sure if there’s a good reason, but I imagine it’s a data-driven thing.  

I'd like to see DL Hall get one more chance at the starting rotation knowing he can be a hell of a relief pitcher if it doesn't work out. I also trust Elias enough that if the Orioles decide to make Hall a relief pitcher permanently then I'm ok with the decision.

At a minimum the Orioles have their Felix Bautista replacement for 2024 if Hall is a reliever.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd like to see DL Hall get one more chance at the starting rotation knowing he can be a hell of a relief pitcher if it doesn't work out. I also trust Elias enough that if the Orioles decide to make Hall a relief pitcher permanently then I'm ok with the decision.

At a minimum the Orioles have their Felix Bautista replacement for 2024 if Hall is a reliever.

At a minimum they have their Fuji replacement if Hall can't throw strikes.

• Haha 1