Henderson ROY, Hyde MOY, Elias EOY thread

Uli2001

12 hours ago, connja said:

Wouldn't shock me if Elias views this as an incentive for Holiday to start next year with the O's.  The value of an extra 1st round pick is huge.

Well, sure it’s an incentive.  But, Elias has to judge just how likely it is that Holliday will be the best rookie in the entire league, at age 20 with 91 PA in AAA under his belt, competing with the likes of Evan Carter who followed his 1.095 OPS in 75 regular season PA with a .917 in 72 PA.   Gunnar was the heavy pre-season favorite to win the award; Holliday definitely won’t be.  

If I’m Elias, the ROY draft pick will be a very minimal consideration.  It boils down to whether Holliday is ready to contribute more, from day one, than the other infield candidates in camp.  If he is, then put him on the team.  If he isn’t, then be sure as hell won’t win ROY,

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, sure it’s an incentive.  But, Elias has to judge just how likely it is that Holliday will be the best rookie in the entire league, at age 20 with 91 PA in AAA under his belt, competing with the likes of Evan Carter who followed his 1.095 OPS in 75 regular season PA with a .917 in 72 PA.   Gunnar was the heavy pre-season favorite to win the award; Holliday definitely won’t be.  

If I’m Elias, the ROY draft pick will be a very minimal consideration.  It boils down to whether Holliday is ready to contribute more, from day one, than the other infield candidates in camp.  If he is, then put him on the team.  If he isn’t, then be sure as hell won’t win ROY,

I don't agree.

Holliday could make adjustments during the season, at the ML level, and win RoY.

Look at Gunnar this season, he started off poorly, made adjustments and won unanimously.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't agree.

Holliday could make adjustments during the season, at the ML level, and win RoY.

Look at Gunnar this season, he started off poorly, made adjustments and won unanimously.

Sure, that is theoretically possible.  

I don’t think the Gunnar analogy is that apt though.   Gunnar showed he was ready in his Sept. ‘22 call-up.  I never interpreted his early struggles this year to mean he wasn’t ready.  He just needed to tweak his approach.  

If Holliday comes into camp showing he’s as ready as Gunnar was going into camp last year, then put him on the team.  My mind is open to it, but I don’t think it’s likely.  

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles pick up the 31st selection in the draft now! 

I'm a fan of that new rule! 

Yeah really. With our pipeline of top talent coming in the next couple of years, those seasons of "tanking" are the gift that keeps on giving. :)