Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t know about committed. They are listening to offers and there is some talk that they may not want to trade him. That could be just as easily be posturing.

Absolutely it is posturing. He is at odd's with management over the arbitration process and how they slammed him. He is made it public that he is leaving. Surely, they can get more for him now, than a comp pick.

Is there anyone that hasn’t been mentioned that piques your interest?

So far we have seen Burnes, ERod, Seattle’s starters and Bieber. Am I missing anyone?

Is there anyone else not mentioned yet that you would prefer to see us go after vs Cease.

Is the new Luzardo rumor something you prefer? Any of the other Florida starters? ECab or Rogers?

Anyone else on another team that could be realistically available or maybe a FA we haven’t really discussed?  I know Montgomery was mentioned but the Os aren’t handing out a 5/120-160 deal for him.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So far we have seen Burnes, ERod, Seattle’s starters and Bieber. Am I missing anyone?

Is there anyone else not mentioned yet that you would prefer to see us go after vs Cease.

Is the new Luzardo rumor something you prefer? Any of the other Florida starters? ECab or Rogers?

Anyone else on another team that could be realistically available or maybe a FA we haven’t really discussed?  I know Montgomery was mentioned but the Os aren’t handing out a 5/120-160 deal for him.

I liked the Bryan Woo rumor, as bunk as it probably is. I'd probably prefer to go after an untested but projectable young starter like that, even though it doesn't solve the "#1-#3 starter" issue. But it helps in other ways, he can slot in right away and has upside and many years of control. 

I also like Wacha as a Gibson upgrade, but certainly not over a guy like Cease. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Luzardo is very intriguing.  I imagine he would be pretty costly in terms of prospects.   His home/away splits from last season are a bit concerning.    I don't know if Miami's stadium is a "pitcher friendly" park.    His second half numbers were OK, but definitely a drop off from his first half.  

I would love Montgomery, but you are right about the O's not giving up that kind of money.   

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have to say though - if we're going to trade prospects, let's really send a haul and get a proper young game-changer who would be here for at least 4 years. I'd much rather a blockbuster like that than crossing our fingers about fixing Cease in time before he's a free agent. 

Who is that player and what are you willing to trade to get him?

Tyler Glasnow.   

Rumors are the Rays are also being asked about Arozarena and Paredes as the rest of the league watches the cheap unfold.

I have a bit of a gut feeling between the Glasnow cheap, McClanahan absence and Wander whatever 2024 might be a bit of an off year for the Rays.    Certainly curious to see the MLB/Minors mix of their Glasnow return.

For today at least, Rays $50mm ahead of the Orioles on forecast 2024 payroll, with Tampa's Glasnow -25 on deck.

Edited by Just Regular

Luzardo had one bad month that makes his second half look "average". He has always had the stuff. Has he turned the corner, that is the question. A power lefty in OPACY sounds like a good strategy. Kopech is an interesting name to me. IF we can't get him squared away, he could be moved to the pen.

Big pass on Glasnow - Glassnow more like it.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Elias is balking at that I would guess one of two things.

1. Normal posturing trying to get a better deal

2. He might be really high on Cowser and personally have him higher on his list than we think.

Who ultimately gets traded or stays likely tells us who Elias is highest on.  Maybe he’d rather include Kjerstad than Cowser.  Don’t know.

Probably more posturing than anything else.  And who knows, maybe he’s talking with other teams and doesn’t want to cave on this deal until he’s sure he can’t do a better one somewhere else.  

Just now, Just Regular said:

Tyler Glasnow.   

Sharks with money have rumors the Rays are also being asked about Arozarena and Paredes active as the rest of the league watches the cheap unfold.

I have a bit of a gut feeling between the Glasnow cheap, McClanahan absence and Wander whatever 2024 might be a bit of an off year for the Rays.    Certainly curious to see the MLB/Minors mix of their Glasnow return.

For today at least, Rays $50mm ahead of the Orioles on forecast 2024 payroll, with Tampa's Glasnow -25 on deck.

I don't think there's anyway the Orioles would trade their top prospects to the Rays.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably more posturing than anything else.  And who knows, maybe he’s talking with other teams and doesn’t want to cave on this deal until he’s sure he can’t do a better one somewhere else.  

Right.  There are rumors about Luzardo and Skubal so maybe Cease isn’t his first choice.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think there's anyway the Orioles would trade their top prospects to the Rays.

I don’t think Elias wants to trade top prospects for a one year rental which is why I don’t see us in on Burnes either.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have to say though - if we're going to trade prospects, let's really send a haul and get a proper young game-changer who would be here for at least 4 years. I'd much rather a blockbuster like that than crossing our fingers about fixing Cease in time before he's a free agent. 

I don't disagree with this sentiment, but is such a pitcher who fits this profile available this offseason?