Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

The Top 5 are all going to be Orioles.  Not surprising.  I'd certainly be fine moving Cowser, but, fine, trust the pipeline.  Then trade some of the 6-15 guys.  Get something of value for two of Urias/Mateo/Hays/Santander/Mountcastle so the pipeline has room in Baltimore.  ME isn't drafting starters and his boss isn't going to pay for them.  Gotta add pitching through trade.  And, so far, the lower level MLB types, like Irvin and Flaherty, haven't worked out.  However, Bradish was acquired in trade, as were some other starting prospects.  I hope he's just posturing when he says there's no logjam and he doesn't have to make trades.  I really don't agree with that.  I do not like how they've handled Joey Ortiz and there are other guys stuck in Norfolk.  Really don't care about AAA Championships either.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it's interesting, I think it's Roch carrying water for his boss.

I don't think his boss is giving Rock much water to carry.  He may toe the company line.... but I don't think he ever really has much that would qualify as inside info much less inside "water".

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They do have other guys that could step up.  Or they could make a move at a latter date if they need to.

Trading one of those two wouldn't handcuff the team.

Wouldn’t handcuff them, but it’s not optimal.  Doesn’t mean you don’t do it. 

I might feel much more sanguine a year from now after seeing how Beavers and Bradfield move along. 

I think other teams are frustrated because they see all the talent the O's have in the minors and believe that they have to move some of these players to eliminate a log jam.  So teams are coming to Elias believing he is going to cave to their demands since he has to make a move because of that perceived backlog in talent.  Personally I'm happy Elias isn't trading with the mindset that he has to move players because that is a position of weakness.  I think Elias will make a trade that is considered fair and he isn't going to do one otherwise.

4 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I think other teams are frustrated because they see all the talent the O's have in the minors and believe that they have to move some of these players to eliminate a log jam.  So teams are coming to Elias believing he is going to cave to their demands since he has to make a move because of that perceived backlog in talent.  Personally I'm happy Elias isn't trading with the mindset that he has to move players because that is a position of weakness.  I think Elias will make a trade that is considered fair and he isn't going to do one otherwise.

I don't think other teams are that stupid.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say the more pitchers that get taken off the market the less leverage the O's have.

At least I've always thought a diminishing supply of goods is more impactful than a correspondingly diminishing supply of demand.

The Orioles, realistically, are only in on Bieber, Burnes, Cease, and Luzardo and we don’t really know how available Burnes and Luzardo are.  I don’t think we’re in on any FA pitcher, including Stroman.  So, our choices are already limited.   The only real leverage we have is that we might still be able to put the best package together for Cease and 1-3 fall back positions.  If Bieber gets traded to someone else I think our options are severely limited unless Elias pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what you mean?

The rummage sale thing, I think Roch is laying the groundwork for the O's not making a deal.

This is from SI very recently.

“We're definitely prepare to [trade prospects]. We've had a lot of conversations dating back to the Trade Deadline where we've made some of our more famous prospects available," Elias said.

I think what I would stress is just because we have this wonderful farm system and we theoretically would have the ability to match or top peoples' trade offers, we also have to worry about the balance of the trade itself, not just who we're outbidding. A lot of our players are top prospects ... You don't just throw those guys into trades and write it off. Those are players that are going to be helping not only soon, but helping for a long time," he said.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you way overthinking things. It’s pretty obvious what Roch meant and the context in which he was saying it.

I think the O's have used Roch in the past to soften PR hits and that is what I am seeing now,

If you don't see it, that's fine.

I think he was trying to make the other teams look unreasonable in their expectations.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the O's have used Roch in the past to soften PR hits and that is what I am seeing now,

If you don't see it, that's fine.

I think he was trying to make the other teams look unreasonable in their expectations.

Well considering no deals are getting done at all, I would suspect there is truth to that.