Mike Elias said O's upward path will "involve the major league payroll" Melewski

RZNJ

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Being this dense isn't necessary.

Making a 20 mil commitment in 2023 to the 2026 payroll will have to be accounted for in 2026 no matter what the payroll is.

First off that isn't what you said earlier.

Secondly no.  It could be addressed in the intervening years.

Lots of moving parts that you don't want to acknowledge.

How many players signed to four year free agent deals are still being paid solely by that team in the fourth year?

You are simplifying things well past the point of common sense.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make.

It was stated as an "indisputable fact" that 20M spent on outside players would result in 20M not being available to retain players.  I used the increase in attendance (and other revenue streams) of the Padres as evidence that the fact could and should be disputed.

If you spent 20M on outside players and they increase revenue by 5 million the actual cost is 15 million.

That's it.  I'm not advocating doing what the Padres did.

Just saying that what was proclaimed an "indisputable fact" isn't.

How much is the Rangers' revenue going to increase due to their free agent spending last offseason?

Gothca.  I will be interested to see what the Rangers revenue increase ends up being.  They increased payroll by ~60m and increased attendance by 500k.    Is that a net gain or net loss for the bottom line and their ability to raiser payroll further to retain some of their young talent.

Just now, geschinger said:

Gothca.  I will be interested to see what the Rangers revenue increase ends up being.  They increased payroll by ~60m and increased attendance by 500k.    Is that a net gain or net loss for the bottom line and their ability to raiser payroll further to retain some of their young talent.

They also just had a billion dollar stadium built for them by taxpayers.  That was what funded their lavish spending.

Just now, geschinger said:

No doubt, their gate receipts for the years prior to opening the new stadium hovered in the 75m range and they were 115m in 2022.  

As one of those taxpayers, I'm not thrilled about it.  Particularly because everybody hates the new stadium and much preferred the now vacant old one.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't the O's just get offered 600M from the State? 

A new stadium equated to ~$40m increase in gate receipts for the Rangers.  What is $600m in improvements to Camden Yards going to equate to an increase in gate receipts to the Orioles?  Can't say I've seen any estimates or guesses on that.

For the record, I agree with SG that they should be able to add a pitcher at 3/60.  I'd hesitate to give that 4th year but if the analytics and whatever other advanced things they're looking at suggest that a guy like Gray can still succeed while losing some zip on the fastball, that's fine.  

But I know that they won't.  And I know that they won't add a bullpen arm like Hader (who I'd really like to have).

I think they should spend but I know better.

The bigger issue for me is if they're going to spend to keep their own talent.  I am admittedly attached to Adley but I can see a scenario where it makes sense to let him walk.  

But not ponying up to keep guys like Gunnar, Holliday, Basallo, or whatever guys really step up and become core, indispensable players to a team that's always in the playoffs will be pretty inexcusable.  Like, you don't draft and develop a guy like Gunnar, IMO, to see him walk at the first opportunity.  The Braves have locked up their core for awhile and should be contenders well into the last half of this decade, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do the same.

In summary, not spending in FA...kind of stupid not to, but whatever.  But not spending to extend some of these guys?  A bit ridiculous.  

• Upvote 2