Mike Elias said O's upward path will "involve the major league payroll" Melewski

RZNJ

17 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The financing for public money was capped at $500 million.  The Rangers got private financing for $600 million.

Don't believe everything a politician promises.  There were numerous loopholes exploited to benefit the Rangers to far more than 500 million.

https://theathletic.com/1900696/2020/07/01/how-did-arlington-decide-to-fund-rangers-new-stadium-and-what-does-it-mean/

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Win or win the World Series?

As fun as 2023 was I can't help but wonder if the playoffs would have gone better if the O's had done more at the deadline.

I'm conflicted whether I even want to look closer at the Jordan Montgomery and Paul Sewald winning bids to guesstimate what Orioles it would have taken to win them, especially with how the competition with TEX played out.      Maybe the Mariners not the Rangers are in the tournament if Elias beats Young for Montgomery.    I think we could have taken the Diamondbacks had we got there.     Flaherty money and Montgomery money was I believe same neighborhood.

But yesterday's unused capital is here now for chasing Cease, Burnes, Glasnow, Detmers or various Padres.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, Pickles said:

The skeleton of the stadium still can't be beat.

But they are clearly pinching pennies in the maintenance and operation of the stadium.

Giant flat screen TVs are dirt cheap.  Literally every stadium I've been in for the last decade plus, has had their concourses and even bathrooms plastered with screens.  It was very noticeable that there was nothing in the concourse of Camden.

It was literally like stepping back into the 90s.

The O's are taking over maintenance in lieu of paying rent.  I see even less maintenance being done.

Look at Elias’ track record with the Astros when it came to pitching.  Quite a few pieces were acquired via trade and now that we have a stocked farm system with some position depth they need to take advantage soon especially if they are going to entertain the idea of extending some of our young hopefully soon to be superstars. 
I personally would love to see what it would take to get Burnes and Williams from the Brewers. Burnes has 1 year of arbitration left and Williams two. That would solve our two biggest problems this offseason and I think it makes a lot of sense. 

Now who are you willing part with?

I’d give some serious thought to something like Hayes/Cowser/Norby/Basallo and maybe we get some cash back

Edited by gshepherd7
Typo

On 11/18/2023 at 11:52 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's are taking over maintenance in lieu of paying rent.  I see even less maintenance being done.

It is embarrassing. Was at the Sunday playoff game against the Rangers and none of the tv displays were working on the upper deck. A little bit of investment goes a long way for next season and beyond. 

1 hour ago, gshepherd7 said:

I’d give some serious thought to something like Hayes/Cowser/Norby/Basallo and maybe we get some cash back

Basallo is off the list, unless there is 4+ years of a TOR  SP coming back. I would hold onto Basallo in most cases.

Edited by Since1984
Years
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gshepherd7 said:

Look at Elias’ track record with the Astros when it came to pitching.  Quite a few pieces were acquired via trade and now that we have a stocked farm system with some position depth they need to take advantage soon especially if they are going to entertain the idea of extending some of our young hopefully soon to be superstars. 
I personally would love to see what it would take to get Burnes and Williams from the Brewers. Burnes has 1 year of arbitration left and Williams two. That would solve our two biggest problems this offseason and I think it makes a lot of sense. 

Williams would be a good get, but Hays, Cowser, Norby AND Bassalo for him and one year of Burnes?  That kind of spend should get you a whole lot more.  I don't think Bassalo, Mayo or Holliday are on the table for any deal anyway.  Hays/Cowser and Norby are all outfielders or soon-to-be outfielders so that too might be a problem.