O's should address the problem they have....

wildcard

Good grief, it's pretty simple.  The Orioles very much need another good (Cease, Burnes, ERod, etc.) starter.  Elias needs to actually go get one for reals this time.  If the trade candidates don't shake loose for reasonable cost, JA needs to spend some damn money for once.  

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

This is an odd answer. But, if you think 15 starts is his max, why not just wait until July/August to pitch him?

Because Wells has proven over two years that is pitches well in the first half.   I don't think Elias will mess with that.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

32 starts - the number of start Kremer had in 2023

32 starts - Bradish had 30 starts in 2023 but missed to when hit of the foot.  He should be capable of making 32 starts

32 starts - Grayson made 31 starts between the minors and the majors in 2022.  He should be capable of making 32 starts.

26 starts - Means has made 26 starter twice in his career. He will have a full off season to train.

15 starts - Lets say Wells makes 15 starts next year.

15 starts by a another starter

That is 152 starts.   That leaves 10 starts Irvin who has started 30  games  in two different seasons in Oakland  or McDermott who made 22 last season in the minors the last 8 of which he made in AAA and ended with a 2.49 ERA at Norfolk.

This does not count Hall who I have pitching in relief or Povich and Johnson who I have in the minors.

44 MLB pitchers made 30 or more starts in 2023, or a little under 1.5 per team.  79 made 25 starts or more, or a little under 2.67 per team.  Your argument makes assumptions that simply aren't realistic.  Nor is the assumption that Povich and Johnson are sufficient insurance against degraded pitcher health realistic.  2024 is a season where fans have every reason to believe the O's are going to compete, and your approach isn't going to get them to even the starting line.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Good grief, it's pretty simple.  The Orioles very much need another good (Cease, Burnes, ERod, etc.) starter.  Elias needs to actually go get one for reals this time.  If the trade candidates don't shake loose for reasonable cost, JA needs to spend some damn money for once.  

Sound great.  I am in favor of it.  Sounds like what was supposed to happen last off season and didn't.

12 minutes ago, 24fps said:

44 MLB pitchers made 30 or more starts in 2023, or a little under 1.5 per team.  79 made 25 starts or more, or a little under 2.67 per team.  Your argument makes assumptions that simply aren't realistic.  Nor is the assumption that Povich and Johnson are sufficient insurance against degraded pitcher health realistic.  2024 is a season where fans have every reason to believe the O's are going to compete, and your approach isn't going to get them to even the starting line.

I am saying add a starter and Irvin has pitched 30 starts twice.

This is not just any rotation.   This is three starters who pitched 30 starts last year and a veteran who has pitched 26 starts twice and will have a full normal off season.

Wells should be good for 15 starts be able to pitch in the playoffs.

McDermott looked good in AAA and will probably pitch in the majors next season.

Any thing from Povich and Johnson is a bonus.

Edited by wildcard

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is an opinion and not a good one.   Managing pitchers innings is done every years by smart management.  Last year Elias/Hyde went to a 6 man rotation to save starters arms.   They could easily have a plan to get the best out of Wells and to have him start in the playoffs.

Your overrating of Wells aside, it’s just an absurd thought. Luckily Elias understands this as he wants to add a starter this offseason which means Wells is going to the pen, where he belongs.

If he is our 6th-8th starter and gets some time in, so be it but to plan for it roster negligence and non sensical despite the way you want to cherry pick some and ignore many others.

And btw, after having this thought earlier in the offseason, you changed your mind and realized it was the poor thing to do and now you are back on it.  

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Your overrating of Wells aside, it’s just an absurd thought. Luckily Elias understands this as he wants to add a starter this offseason which means Wells is going to the pen, where he belongs.

If he is our 6th-8th starter and gets some time in, so be it but to plan for it roster negligence and non sensical despite the way you want to cherry pick some and ignore many others.

And btw, after having this thought earlier in the offseason, you changed your mind and realized it was the poor thing to do and now you are back on it.  

The prices for starters are sky high so far this off season.  In FA and probably in trade.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am saying add a starter and Irvin has pitched 30 starts twice.

This is not just any rotation.   This is three starters who pitched 30 starts last year and a veteran who has pitched 26 starts twice and will have a full normal off season.

Wells should be good for 15 starts be able to pitch in the playoffs.

McDermott looked good in AAA and will probably pitch in the majors next season.

Any thing from Povich and Johnson is a bonus.

Well if they each made 30 starts last year then it's guaranteed that they'll do the same in 2024.  Sorry, but your initial premise - the one you based this entire thread on - is the O's only need to find another 15 starts which is simply silly.  As narratives go, I've read fairy tales more grounded in reality.

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Well if they each made 30 starts last year then it's guaranteed that they'll do the same in 2024.  Sorry, but your initial premise - the one you based this entire thread on - is the O's only need to find another 15 starts which is simply silly.  As narratives go, I've read fairy tales more grounded in reality.

OK, here is a question.

Will the starter you expect Elias to sign be able to pitch better than a  3.3O ERA in his first 15 starts?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, here is a question.

Will the starter you expect Elias to sign be able to pitch better than a  3.3O ERA in his first 15 starts?

I expect the primary starter Elias acquires is to be someone who can realistically be expected to go 170 innings to a sub-4.00 ERA.  In other words, someone better than Gibson.  I expect him to sign at least one other veteran pitcher who has demonstrated that he's durable and understands he might spend a lot of time in AAA.  He'll also find at least one good reliever probably in FA, but who knows, the team certainly has an abundance of prospect capital.