Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

Just now, Pickles said:

My bigger concern is getting another incapacitated owner, and this guy is 75 years old, so it's only a matter of time.

Maybe this guy has some money to throw around, will keep Elias and his crew in the fold for a long time and really actually get out of the way.

Jeez, Pickles.  Try some positivity for once.  

Article below from BB - they've generally pretty good with their sports transaction reporting. I'll dig around and see if I can learn any more rumors....

Carlyle’s Rubenstein Said in Talks to Acquire Baltimore Orioles Rubenstein’s net worth is $4.6 billion according to Bloomberg Deal could be announced in first half next year, if finalized.

By Gillian Tan

Carlyle Group Inc. co-founder David Rubenstein is in talks to acquire Major League Baseball’s Baltimore Orioles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. Rubenstein is among suitors pursuing a transaction, said one of the people, all of whom requested anonymity discussing confidential information. Nothing has been finalized and talks may still fall apart, the people said.

Read more: Billionaires Rubenstein, Leonsis Eyeing MLB’s Nationals, Orioles Representatives for the Orioles didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokesman for Rubenstein declined to comment. Trial lawyer Peter Angelos, 94, is the team’s majority owner.

Both majority and minority stakes in US sports teams have continued to change hands, driven in part by owners looking to cash in on rising valuations, and a perception among investors, following the pandemic, that live sports remain a hit with viewers. Sportsology Capital Partners and Ares Management Corp. are in exclusive talks to buy a stake in Major League Baseball’s Texas Rangers, and Ken Griffin is in talks to buy a minority stake in the Miami Dolphins, Bloomberg has reported.

Rubenstein, 74, was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He has a net worth of $4.6 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. He also hosts a show on Bloomberg Television. Rubenstein told key backers of the Orioles that he would consider buying the team if it comes up for sale, Bloomberg News reported last year. He has previously eyed the Washington Nationals, another MLB team, and, unlike many of his peers across Wall Street, has yet to make a splashy bet on a sports team.

Edited by MTMan13
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe this guy has some money to throw around, will keep Elias and his crew in the fold for a long time and really actually get out of the way.

Jeez, Pickles.  Try some positivity for once.  

I'm positive all the time.  I'm accused of "sucking off" Elias pretty consistently.

I'm just being honest.  I would feel much better with a different ownership group.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Almost all of those billionaires care more about making money- that's why they're billionaires.  And you'll watch, those ownership groups in SD and NY will act much differently as the financial losses mount up.  In fact, we're already seeing that play out.

I would assume most professional sports team owners are billionaires, and there are clearly massive differences between how some owners invest their resources in the team versus others.

John Angelos has managed the last few years with a requirement to maintain a minimal payroll, and that was acceptable during the lean years of the rebuild. Now that we're through the rebuild, it would be nice to see a return to the payrolls this team had 10 years ago. I would hope a new ownership group would provide that payroll increase, and also avoid the narcissistic, nepotistic publicity stunts we've had to endure the last couple years.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

My bigger concern is getting another incapacitated owner, and this guy is 75 years old, so it's only a matter of time.

Aren't most ownership groups... a group? I would think he'd have a succession plan. Maybe he buys it and delegates power to someone else. 

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

I would assume most professional sports team owners are billionaires, and there are clearly massive differences between how some owners invest their resources in the team versus others.

John Angelos has managed the last few years with a requirement to maintain a minimal payroll, and that was acceptable during the lean years of the rebuild. Now that we're through the rebuild, it would be nice to see a return to the payrolls this team had 10 years ago. I would hope a new ownership group would provide that payroll increase, and also avoid the narcissistic, nepotistic publicity stunts we've had to endure the last couple years.

The payroll is increasing.  That's just a fact.  People are always going to want it to go higher, but as long it doesn't get in the way of winning, I don't care.   Payroll is not the most important thing about winning.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Aren't most ownership groups... a group? I would think he'd have a succession plan. Maybe he buys it and delegates power to someone else. 

It's still his money.  If he dies in six years, they're going to have to sell the team.