Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

Or he's looking at a relatively short window to make his mark and doesn't view the Adley/Gunnar/Holliday era as a time to pinch pennies.

I'm sure this is much more about making money for him than it is about his abiding interest in the career of Adley Rutschman.  

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

To be clear, Carlyle Group’s David Rubinstein is in talks to buy the Orioles.  It’s not really correct to say “Carlyle Group/David Rubinstein” as the Carlyle Group would not be involved in the potential transaction.

Good catch. If someone can update the title I'd appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, I just think it's weird that, after 30 years of mostly terrible ownership, the Angelos family could be looking to sell and your first thought is "Jeez, that guy is old, it would suck to have to go through this again in 10 years."

I mean, if that's your reality, that's cool.  I think most of us would just be thrilled to get Angelos gone.

Pretty much any name besides Dan Snyder is good news 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I'm sure this is much more about making money for him than it is about his abiding interest in the career of Adley Rutschman.  

Not interest in the career of Adley Rutschman. Interest in buying a baseball team to produce a winner. Some of these billionaires actually value a winning legacy when they buy these teams. Can't speak for Rubenstein but that's obviously the hope.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

No, I just think it's weird that, after 30 years of mostly terrible ownership, the Angelos family could be looking to sell and your first thought is "Jeez, that guy is old, it would suck to have to go through this again in 10 years."

I mean, if that's your reality, that's cool.  I think most of us would just be thrilled to get Angelos gone.

Peter was a terrible owner.  John has been ok as an acting boss.  He's annoying, and he would do well to stfu, but he's done EXACTLY what we all called for for decades: Hire a competent baseball man and gtfo of the way.  And it has worked out wonderfully for us.

The biggest problem with him is he is cash poor.

I guess what I'm saying is it really is possible to get a worse ownership group than what we currently have.  The next time the owner loses continence, which with this guy could be very soon, we have no idea what we would get.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Not interest in the career of Adley Rutschman. Interest in buying a baseball team to produce a winner. Some of these billionaires actually value a winning legacy when they buy these teams. Can't speak for Rubenstein but that's obviously the hope.

Almost all of those billionaires care more about making money- that's why they're billionaires.  And you'll watch, those ownership groups in SD and NY will act much differently as the financial losses mount up.  In fact, we're already seeing that play out.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Peter was a terrible owner.  John has been ok as an acting boss.  He's annoying, and he would do well to stfu, but he's done EXACTLY what we all called for for decades: Hire a competent baseball man and gtfo of the way.  And it has worked out wonderfully for us.

The biggest problem with him is he is cash poor.

I guess what I'm saying is it really is possible to get a worse ownership group than what we currently have.  The next time the owner loses continence, which with this guy could be very soon, we have no idea what we would get.

@Sports Guywill be here shortly to tell you that you're wrong and that he hasn't gotten out of the way.

Sure, it's possible to get a worse owner, but I think it would be really hard to do so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

@Sports Guywill be here shortly to tell you that you're wrong and that he hasn't gotten out of the way.

Sure, it's possible to get a worse owner, but I think it would be really hard to do so. 

My bigger concern is getting another incapacitated owner, and this guy is 75 years old, so it's only a matter of time.

Rubenstein is one of only 5 Marylanders on the Forbes 400. The other 4 are Annette Lerner (Ted's widow), Mitchell Rales, Jim Davis (cousin and business partner of Steve Bisicotti), and Dan Snyder. Bisciotti himself is no longer a Maryland resident, having moved to Florida.

Not too many options for local billionaires. 

Edited by MurphDogg