Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Any GM's "style" is going to be influenced by the desires of the owner.  What Elias is doing here might be very different than what he'd do if the Yankees hired him to replace Cashman.

True, any GM will do what the owner tells him to do and if that's spend money, he'll spend money.  And, with New York money, he could buy free agents and still hug is prospects.

11 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Literally no team in baseball wants any part of this man, but you're the only critical thinker in the room huh? He's also an admitted cheater so don't pretend that this is just about his off the field issues. The man has more red flags than the Peoples Republic of China. 

You do not know this. There is literally no way you know this

21 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

You do not know this. There is literally no way you know this

It's been over a year since Trevor Bauer was reinstated. He's played zero MLB games since then, but you want me to believe the narrative that other teams are interested in him?

On 1/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, Fan4Life said:

Listening to CBS sports radio, it appears Trevor Bauer has been on Fox news, and will be on Doug gottlieb show as well soon telling his story. Based on Doug's analysis, it sounds like Trevor is completely innocent of everything except maybe public opinion of his personal preferences in a sexual life. He's already expressed he's learned a lesson from that haha maybe he has. But he wants to be back in baseball and we need somebody like him, is this a match?

Here's a counterpoint, just in case anyone's looking for a different take than the one provided by the very reputable and unbiased Fox News as well as the forthcoming take by the equally reputable journalist who was charged with felony credit card theft and who more recently falsely reported that Freddie Freeman's agent didn't present the Braves final offer to his client and who only admitted he lied after he was sued by the agent. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Here's a counterpoint, just in case anyone's looking for a different take than the one provided by the very reputable and unbiased Fox News as well as the forthcoming take by the equally reputable journalist who was charged with felony credit card theft and who more recently falsely reported that Freddie Freeman's agent didn't present the Braves final offer to his client and who only admitted he lied after he was sued by the agent. 

This entire X thread is nothing but opinion, presumption, assumption, bias, and pathos.  It essentially criticizes anyone who considered the facts of the Bauer cases and is trying to bully them into joining the mob

I'm sorry he was innocent because that's the way the law works when you don't have evidence? I don't know about the other lawsuits against him, but (my opinion based on perpetual observation) they didn't call it "Me Too" for no reason; when an opportunity for quick $ arises, it will be exploited; many people are weak to temptation (the crucial theme to takeaway from all of this?)

I'm not in support of Bauer or against him; I am just aware that what I know about Trevor Bauer is probably a fraction of a fraction of who he is and what he believes. He has a lot of interesting character traits that appear admirable: he's very determined, confident, informative, proactive, passionate, etc.  He also has appeared arrogant, licentious, pernicious, reactionary, and passionate (unbridled) ; but this is all subjective and accompanied by the Presenter's bias. 

I have felt sorry for Trevor Bauer at times. I feel like he was targeted, mistreated, and judged; I also felt he wasn't equipped with the adequate character traits to handle the situation and he could have made better choices leading up to this affair.  I don't know who he is really, but it was obvious pretty early on that it wasn't going to be easy to figure that out with the media drooling over the story everyday with $ signs in their eyes.

On a side note, as a former teacher and a current father, one trend I think that has arisen with young men & women that is alarming are their poor understanding of sex within the context of love, building a family, finding happiness through a marriage. The casual nature of sex in the swipe right/left culture is going to have psychological affects on young people and the relationships they have as they become adults. I'm not sure what really went on in Bauer's bedroom with another consenting adult, but I'm just shocked with how many young people are participating and pursuing similar sexual exploits to what was described in Bauer's cases, exaggerated or not.  So again, I think the law shows that he didn't break it, but the bigger picture is that we got a lot of more people running around with loose morals and strange kinks then previously thought? Each their own, no laws broken, but if you keep bad company and make poor choices you're probably going to find trouble eventually.

That being said, if Vetted, 1 year 6 mil, LFG!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

This entire X thread is nothing but opinion, presumption, assumption, bias, and pathos.  It essentially criticizes anyone who considered the facts of the Bauer cases and is trying to bully them into joining the mob

I'm sorry he was innocent because that's the way the law works when you don't have evidence? I don't know about the other lawsuits against him, but (my opinion based on perpetual observation) they didn't call it "Me Too" for no reason; when an opportunity for quick $ arises, it will be exploited; many people are weak to temptation (the crucial theme to takeaway from all of this?)

I'm not in support of Bauer or against him; I am just aware that what I know about Trevor Bauer is probably a fraction of a fraction of who he is and what he believes. He has a lot of interesting character traits that appear admirable: he's very determined, confident, informative, proactive, passionate, etc.  He also has appeared arrogant, licentious, pernicious, reactionary, and passionate (unbridled) ; but this is all subjective and accompanied by the Presenter's bias. 

I have felt sorry for Trevor Bauer at times. I feel like he was targeted, mistreated, and judged; I also felt he wasn't equipped with the adequate character traits to handle the situation and he could have made better choices leading up to this affair.  I don't know who he is really, but it was obvious pretty early on that it wasn't going to be easy to figure that out with the media drooling over the story everyday with $ signs in their eyes.

On a side note, as a former teacher and a current father, one trend I think that has arisen with young men & women that is alarming are their poor understanding of sex within the context of love, building a family, finding happiness through a marriage. The casual nature of sex in the swipe right/left culture is going to have psychological affects on young people and the relationships they have as they become adults. I'm not sure what really went on in Bauer's bedroom with another consenting adult, but I'm just shocked with how many young people are participating and pursuing similar sexual exploits to what was described in Bauer's cases, exaggerated or not.  So again, I think the law shows that he didn't break it, but the bigger picture is that we got a lot of more people running around with loose morals and strange kinks then previously thought? Each their own, no laws broken, but if you keep bad company and make poor choices you're probably going to find trouble eventually.

If you truly believe that the Trevor Bauer doubters are the ones doing the bullying on social media (and not his apologists) then I think you might want to do bit more research. The hate and vitriol they spew is on par with the Dave Portnoy / Barstool Sports fan boys. 

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

If you truly believe that the Trevor Bauer doubters are the ones doing the bullying on social media (and not his apologists) then I think you might want to do bit more research. The hate and vitriol they spew is on par with the Dave Portnoy / Barstool Sports fan boys. 

It's both groups. Both groups act the same way while expressing different opinions. I feel both groups need to be ignored by Elias or any GM trying to make a decision in Bauer. Consider facts and vet him. If he doesn't make it through betting, pass in him. If he checks out, 1 year 6 mil to start negotiations 

On 1/7/2024 at 10:48 AM, ScGO's said:

Thank you for that well reasoned and time consuming rebuttal. 

Edited by Fan4Life
  • Upvote 1

Steamer 2024 FIP projections for current free agent starting pitchers

3.7 - Blake Snell

4.0 - Jordan Montgomery

4.1 - Trevor Bauer

4.2 - Marcus Stroman, James Paxton

4.4 - Spencer Turnbull

4.5 - Hyun-Jin Ryu, Jakob Junis, Matthew Boyd

4.6 - Domingo German

4.7 - Zach Greinke, Yariel Rodriguez

4.8 - Michael Lorenzen, Alex Wood, Carlos Carrasco

4.9 - Mike Clevinger, Rich Hill

I think Bauer is tailor made for the Orioles. The risk and downside is obvious. But I would bring him in to chat and mingle with some of the boys and if they liked him offer a contract that gives the O’s some options. With language that allows them to cut him if he so much as causes a pregame ruckas. 

He was accused and punished without being convicted. He was certainly guilty of poor decisions regardless of his legal situation. But he has also paid his debt and would seem worthy of vetting by teams. I hope the Orioles would at least do the work. If they pass, then so be it. But if they signed him, I wouldn’t be upset. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:He was accused and punished without being convicted. He was certainly guilty of poor decisions regardless of his legal situation. But he has also paid his debt and would seem worthy of vetting by teams. I hope the Orioles would at least do the work. If they pass, then so be it. But if they signed him, I wouldn’t be upset. 

You could say the same thing about Wander Franco being punished without being convicted. I’m not sure how playing in Japan and loudly complaining to anyone  who would listen is paying his debt.

regardless of what you think about his legal situation, the guy is an annoying attention seeker. He posts videos complaining on YouTube a la Kevin Spacey  and would generally be a major distraction to the vibes of this young team.

He also hasn’t pitched against major league level talent in 3 years, and was really only a great pitcher during peak spider tack. 

The thing with Bauer is that on top of all this stuff, he's also got a really big personality.  It's why you can't have Tim Tebow, or Cam Newton, be your back up QB.  The O's aren't desperate enough to be the Trevor Bauer show.  We have developing superstars here.  Let them develop into household names.  

1 hour ago, brooooksy said:

You could say the same thing about Wander Franco being punished without being convicted. I’m not sure how playing in Japan and loudly complaining to anyone  who would listen is paying his debt.

regardless of what you think about his legal situation, the guy is an annoying attention seeker. He posts videos complaining on YouTube a la Kevin Spacey  and would generally be a major distraction to the vibes of this young team.

He also hasn’t pitched against major league level talent in 3 years, and was really only a great pitcher during peak spider tack. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The thing with Bauer is that on top of all this stuff, he's also got a really big personality.  It's why you can't have Tim Tebow, or Cam Newton, be your back up QB.  The O's aren't desperate enough to be the Trevor Bauer show.  We have developing superstars here.  Let them develop into household names.  

All fair points.  I am not defending or advocating for Bauer. I’m saying I would not be opposed to the Orioles signing him if they did due diligence covering these concerns and others. If they did that…whatever the direction, I could support. 

Of course we could sign Montgomery and just roll. I just know this team isn’t likely to spend for an upgrade. Which as you point out Bauer may in fact not be…

20 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Thank you for that well reasoned and time consuming rebuttal. 

I went back and read his post. There was literally nothing in it but opinion and conjecture. I really hope that it takes more than that for you to consider something to be "well reasoned".