A Positional Trade Candidate Overview

Greg Pappas

Just now, RZNJ said:

Why is it impossible for Ortiz to win one of the infield starting jobs?

It's not impossible, but it's very hard with so many incumbent infielders. There's another thread where everyone is assuming Mayo wins the 3B job. If so, then Westburg is the incumbent at 2B. 

I just don't really see him as a 3B was my main thing. And Westburg already has 2B locked up. So I see Ortiz as a replacement for Urias or Mateo, mostly, as currently constructed. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's not impossible, but it's very hard with so many incumbent infielders. There's another thread where everyone is assuming Mayo wins the 3B job. If so, then Westburg is the incumbent at 2B. 

I just don't really see him as a 3B was my main thing. And Westburg already has 2B locked up. So I see Ortiz as a replacement for Urias or Mateo, mostly, as currently constructed. 

I think there are very few people assuming Mayo wins the 3B job.  Ortiz could win it or play 2B with Westburg moving to 3B or play SS with Henderson sliding to 3B.  I don’t expect any of those things but I certainly think there’s a chance of one of them happening.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think there are very few people assuming Mayo wins the 3B job.  Ortiz could win it or play 2B with Westburg moving to 3B or play SS with Henderson sliding to 3B.  I don’t expect any of those things but I certainly think there’s a chance of one of them happening.

The infield situation is making my head spin and I really need the Orioles unload a guy so things start to clarify. 

• Haha 1

Urias just makes so much sense to trade. We have several MLB ready infielder candidates ready to take over, and he has a limited ceiling anyway, but he has a high enough floor that he should have some trade value. Then again, I'm having trouble understanding why he hasn't already been traded yet, so I am not going to try and predict anything. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias just makes so much sense to trade. We have several MLB ready infielder candidates ready to take over, and he has a limited ceiling anyway, but he has a high enough floor that he should have some trade value. Then again, I'm having trouble understanding why he hasn't already been traded yet, so I am not going to try and predict anything. 

Because Urias is a good bench option and security blanket.   

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Because Urias is a good bench option and security blanket.   

We already have that in Westburg. If Plan A is Gunnar/Mayo/Holliday, you still have Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby all in the mix as viable Plan B's, and Westburg already has an established baseline similar to Urias. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

We hope you are floored then.   No one ever said they could do it with Ortiz as the #1 piece.   He’s a fit for teams like the WS and Marlins.  

Per MLB trade rumors

“The Giants have been exploring the trade market for a potential shortstop upgrade, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, who adds that the team’s recent signing of Tom Murphy to a two-year deal could lead to former top catching prospect Joey Bart being moved Some combination of Bart, young pitching and/or outfield talent could conceivably be used to add the desired help at shortstop.“

The first player I thought of when I saw that was Mateo. Obviously not getting much back for him, but even just getting him off the roster is a plus at this point. Not sure why or how he didn’t get non-tendered.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

He stinks

This comment is out of pocket. He absolutely does not. He's a quality major leaguer. Get yourself together man, you've made a fool of yourself.

Can we upgrade over him? Sure. Does he stink? Objectively no. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

This comment is out of pocket. He absolutely does not. He's a quality major leaguer. Get yourself together man, you've made a fool of yourself.

Can we upgrade over him? Sure. Does he stink? Objectively no. 

His glove at 3B stunk and he was barely over .700 OPS at the plate

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

We already have that in Westburg. If Plan A is Gunnar/Mayo/Holliday, you still have Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby all in the mix as viable Plan B's, and Westburg already has an established baseline similar to Urias. 

You’re getting way ahead of yourself.   Westburg and Henderson are starters on OD.   One of Ortiz/Mayo/Holliday is the other starter.   Two of that trio are in Norfolk.   Urias is on the bench.  Norby is traded or in Norfolk.  

• Upvote 1