Orioles Sign Daniel Johnson to mil contract (tea leaves?)

RZNJ

• 2 months later...

Had a great spring, now hitting .271/.920 at Norfolk. Could he possibly be worse than Mullins? How much longer can we afford to carry Mullins producing zero offense?

Any reports on the defense? When he came up with Cleveland he did not play CF but they had Myles Straw there. 

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Had a great spring, now hitting .271/.920 at Norfolk. Could he possibly be worse than Mullins? How much longer can we afford to carry Mullins producing zero offense?

Any reports on the defense? When he came up with Cleveland he did not play CF but they had Myles Straw there. 

Mullins will be given the entire year unless there is an injury now I expect he might start losing playing time but he will be on the roster all year they are nit just gonna DFA him.  

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Mullins will be given the entire year unless there is an injury now I expect he might start losing playing time but he will be on the roster all year they are nit just gonna DFA him.  

Mullins has options, for what it's worth. I doubt they would send Cedric down, but Johnson could take Stowers' spot and move Cedric to more of a bench role.

Johnson isn't on the 40 man roster so a promotion would involve some juggling there. Also, while his .920 OPS looks impressive please keep in mind that Ryan McKenna's career OPS at Norfolk was .915. I liked the energy Johnson brought to his game during Spring Training, reminded me a lot of Gunnar's attitude. While I'm not sure he'd be any more valuable on paper than McKenna was, I'm certainly willing to give chances to guys that play the game balls to the wall like he did. 

I can’t even believe the grasping of straws going on here.  Why don’t we just bring up every guy at Norfolk who has an .800+ OPS, since they’re obviously better than their major league counterparts?  Oh wait, everyone at Norfolk has an .800+ OPS!

As to Mullins, yes he’s looked awful at the plate for a month, but the O’s are nowhere near the point of regularly benching him or pinch hitting for him in key situations vs. RHP.   You know why?   Because even good players have slumps, and the best way to get them out of it is to keep playing them until they emerge from them.  And Mullins has a long enough track record where the odds of him coming out of this eventually are decent.  Not 100%, but a lot more likely than not.  I mean, the guy had an .859 OPS the first 3 weeks of the season.  That guy didn’t have some instantaneous physical decline that has turned him into the second coming of Chris Davis permanently.  I know it’s frustrating to watch him right now.  I’m as frustrated as anyone.   But every major league team would be doing what the Orioles have been doing, for another 4-6 weeks at a minimum.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can’t even believe the grasping of straws going on here.  Why don’t we just bring up every guy at Norfolk who has an .800+ OPS, since they’re obviously better than their major league counterparts?  Oh wait, everyone at Norfolk has an .800+ OPS!

As to Mullins, yes he’s looked awful at the plate for a month, but the O’s are nowhere near the point of regularly benching him or pinch hitting for him in key situations vs. RHP.   You know why?   Because even good players have slumps, and the best way to get them out of it is to keep playing them until they emerge from them.  And Mullins has a long enough track record where the odds of him coming out of this eventually are decent.  Not 100%, but a lot more likely than not.  I mean, the guy had an .859 OPS the first 3 weeks of the season.  That guy didn’t have some instantaneous physical decline that has turned him into the second coming of Chris Davis permanently.  I know it’s frustrating to watch him right now.  I’m as frustrated as anyone.   But every major league team would be doing what the Orioles have been doing, for another 4-6 weeks at a minimum.  

The voice of reason!

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He has a track record of being a low .700’s OPS guy. Any decline from that makes him a pretty unproductive hitter.

You use “track record” and the small sample size of “the first 3 weeks of the season” in the same argument. And even during those 3 weeks, he was hitting at a low pct, striking out a lot, but squared up a couple to inflate the OPS.