1/28 poll: will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts?

Frobby

Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?

• Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than our 5th starter options
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than our fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will trade for a pitcher who won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will sign a free agent starter but he won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • No, they won’t acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/24 at 17:22

28 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

How many do you think Kremer will Throw, Hes just Like Means or any other Pitcher, Hes One pitch away from being shut down, The comment was who is the #3 starter, not whose going to stay healthy more, If you're good enough  to guess that you're better than me. Go on with it. But as per raw data (baseball ref) John Means is clearly better than Dean Kremer

lol what? With this logic no one is better than John Means because they’re all one pitch away from TJ. 

19 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Frobby  It was unclear in the OP whether that trade can be at any point during 2024 or if you meant before OD.  I would say no to before OD, but yes to a starter better than Kremer by the deadline.  

Anyone acquired at the deadline won't make 20 starts for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

No doubt ….but he and ownership have no real interest in helping the team. Plus, he’s don’t nothing to clear the logjams in the IF & OF beyond letting a couple of free agents leave. 

Honestly, it might be time to turn the page.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Screenshot_20240128-111628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.65ddef3f25580f9b009c7d8033d8667b.jpg

Honestly he needs to get one.  Because right now he hasn't got one.

• Upvote 1

I’m rooting for this guy to bounce back and surprise.  Interesting, but I mentioned that even when he pitched well I said his stuff just didn’t impress.  In this interview he called his stuff last year “bland”.  Chalk it up to positive ST talk but I hope his new two seamer and revised cutter turn him into a more effective pitcher.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

So you're saying that Elias didn't include any of our top 10 prospects in any trade discussions?  I don't believe that for a second.

I didn't say that, just pointing out that he hasn't done that yet.

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

I didn't say that, just pointing out that he hasn't done that yet.

Yeah, you did say that.  In fact, you just now said it again.  Your claim that Elias hasn't included any Orioles top 10 prospects in any trade discussion simply doesn't ring true to me.

I have not seen anyone say that Lorenzen is a #3.    I have him as a 2nd half of the season #5.  That could be 15 starts.   I have Means being on the IL for 6 weeks.   Lorenzen could start those 7 games.   That's 22 starts depending on when Means is out.

37 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, you did say that.  In fact, you just now said it again.  Your claim that Elias hasn't included any Orioles top 10 prospects in any trade discussion simply doesn't ring true to me.

You're misinterpreting my post again.  None of us know what Elias is discussing in these trade talks, whether he is or isn't including certain prospects.  The point of the original post was to guess what type of pitcher if any the O's will acquire before the season starts.  My theory is we can only judge on results, so my guess was that since he hasn't made any bold signings or trades since he's been here that he'll acquire another Lyles/Gibson type starter on a short term deal.  My intention was not to imply Elias won't even discuss top prospects, just that he hasn't traded top prospects yet.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The last choice is the one that has the best odds.

He’s gonna bring someone in.  He likes building depth.  I don’t think it will be anyone that makes this site happy but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t bring in a #5 that pushes Hall & Wells to the pen. 

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’m rooting for this guy to bounce back and surprise.  Interesting, but I mentioned that even when he pitched well I said his stuff just didn’t impress.  In this interview he called his stuff last year “bland”.  Chalk it up to positive ST talk but I hope his new two seamer and revised cutter turn him into a more effective pitcher.

Man, I was salty when we gave up Hernaiz.  I think that kid is gonna be a good MLBer.  With that said, I’d love to see Irvin take a step and be the reliable back end guy we traded for.  If he could make that step, it would be absolutely massive.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dystopia said:

How much is the inactivity on Elias vs. Angelos? That question needs to be asked but I’m not sure if there’s any way to know the answer for sure. 

I know my money is on Angelos. 

It’s fair to blame Angelos on the money portion, unless Elias sold Angelos on a pitcher at a certain number and amount of years. Then the pitcher got way more which in turn ruined the plan. It’s my general thought that Elias planned to trade for a starter. But, he knew the cost of Cease at the deadline. Why would he put all of his eggs in that basket.