Keith Law Top 100

MurphDogg

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yet there was a reason he was available still in the 3rd round. 

I'm not bashing on Lord because he might be a steal, but sometimes I think these guys get a little too enamored with a guy because they see certain data like spins rates, shapes and from hitters perspective EVs. 

All of that is good and it certainly gets us interested, but there are reasons why guys fall to where they fall. Now I didn't see Lord pitch outside of his college videos and he threw a ton of fastballs, something he'll have to adjust at the pro level. Hopefully it will come together but I think it's way too early to put him so high in a deep system like the Orioles. 

Hopefully Law will be proven right, but that's pretty high for a guy who put up a 6.19 ERA in college last year and has never thrown more than 75 innings in a season during which he had velocity drops. He's got major reliever risk currently.

It's not that Tony-I'm just amazed he increased his velocity from 80 to 99 mph by online tutorials.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yet there was a reason he was available still in the 3rd round. 

I'm not bashing on Lord because he might be a steal, but sometimes I think these guys get a little too enamored with a guy because they see certain data like spins rates, shapes and from hitters perspective EVs. 

All of that is good and it certainly gets us interested, but there are reasons why guys fall to where they fall. Now I didn't see Lord pitch outside of his college videos and he threw a ton of fastballs, something he'll have to adjust at the pro level. Hopefully it will come together but I think it's way too early to put him so high in a deep system like the Orioles. 

Hopefully Law will be proven right, but that's pretty high for a guy who put up a 6.19 ERA in college last year and has never thrown more than 75 innings in a season during which he had velocity drops. He's got major reliever risk currently.

I always get a kick out of national guys, or less informed local guys. I'm not saying that they never get a look or some intel that is better than yours, but it doesn't seem like it happens very often.