Naming rights to stadium to be announced today?

SemperFi

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

As if I needed your permission to bad mouth the Angelos family.😉  That's how I made my start here way too long ago.

"Laser minded focus?"  From the WSJ article -  He negotiated on and off with Rubenstein for three years, frequently leaving people around him wondering where things stood and what his true intentions were. 

Three YEARS.

So " laser focused" that his Governor pal is giving him five years to come up with a development plan.

So "laser focused" that it took how many years to settle the 2016-21 MASN rights deal?

As to the "laser focus" of the naming rights.  I always bring receipts when talking about that family.

According to the Baltimore Sun   -

"The Orioles won naming rights in 2001. A panel of arbitrators ordered the state to pay for stadium improvements to Camden Yards — and gave the Orioles naming rights — based on a clause in the team's lease that guarantees treatment comparable to that given the Ravens."

At the time -  John Angelos, the club's executive vice president and son of owner Peter Angelos, tweeted to fans last year: “No, there has never been nor is there any plan today to sell naming rights to Oriole Park at Camden Yards.”  
https://digitaledition.baltimoresun.com/tribune/article_popover.aspx?guid=7cfc2031-c22b-4a1e-9eca-c7596857a833

March, 2023 it was reported
The Orioles have quietly been taking Camden Yards naming rights to market this year, according to sources. The nameplate being sold would apply to the field only (i.e. XYZ Field at Camden Yards). 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2023/03/09/camden-yards-field-naming-rights.aspx

tenor.gif

Didn’t hear anything about the potential sale of the team until this past November, didn’t you?

And then not again until last week? 

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn’t hear anything about the potential sale of the team until this past November, didn’t you?

And then not again until last week? 

I wasn't the first one to quote WSJ and the "three year" sale negotiation in this thread.   

Also, from the WSJ - "Moore wasn’t completely blindsided by the sale—but not because Angelos had been looping him in. Instead, Moore had been communicating directly with Rubenstein in the weeks leading up to the deal, according to a person familiar with the governor’s correspondence. Afterward, Moore told reporters in Baltimore, “The transparency that was required, it was not there. It’s disappointing.”

Would you describe the lease negotiations as "laser focused?"  Two governors, around 34 months at least

With the decision not to exercise the 5-year option, the club and stadium authority are left with 11 months until an extension signed in February 2021 expires. That deal was made when the original lease, dating to 1992, neared its end.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/02/01/orioles-to-decline-5-year-camden-yards-lease-extension-say-new-long-term-agreement-would-revitalize-stadium-district/

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear you .… compare it to Mama Angela in Mt Airy, La Bella in Littlestown, Pizza John’s in Essex, Dough Roller in Ocean City, Rocco’s Glen Burnie/Annapolis, Squire’s Dundalk….etc

Im Italian … had Pizza in Italy …. 🇮🇹…..Ledo is not real Pizza sir! 

But, to each his own I guess

I guess you never had Ledo when it was in Adelphi.   Before the franchise, people waited in long lines to get in on a Friday night.  Even College Park Ledo, before it became just another franchise, was much better than any chain pizza.  As to Pizza John's, you can buy their frozen pizzas in the store now.    I'm also of Italian descent , and yeah, I've had pizza in Italy.  My wife is from Jersey where every other block there's a pizza place better than Pizza John's. 

Finally, back on topic, let Kevin Plank put the UA name on the field, if there must be a sponsor.   Is the $6M-$8M rumored in additional revenue worth it?   I say, "no."

Say what you will about Peter Angelos’ on field product, he cared about the aesthetics of the stadium. His miserable son added a sports book, raised concession prices, removed the Sun masthead (which was allowed to stay after they couldn’t pay, presumably for the old timey aesthetics), and is now selling the name. It’s not like we’re breaking new ground with payroll here. 

Not gonna hold it against him, and he’s said everything right so far, but man it would rock if Rosenstein said “hey, we’re still on the level of Fenway/Yankee/Dodger stadium and not selling the naming rights “

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear you .… compare it to Mama Angela in Mt Airy, La Bella in Littlestown, Pizza John’s in Essex, Dough Roller in Ocean City, Rocco’s Glen Burnie/Annapolis, Squire’s Dundalk….etc

Classic Roll Tide response. Lol

10 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

It could be Rubenstein doesn't want to change the name of OPACY. If that's the case, praise the man because <insert sponsor name here> Park at Camden Yards will sounds like crap.

Leave it Oriole Park.

If it helps the O's extend some of their young stars, they can call it OnlyFans Stadium as far as I'm concerned. 

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I wasn't the first one to quote WSJ and the "three year" sale negotiation in this thread.   

Also, from the WSJ - "Moore wasn’t completely blindsided by the sale—but not because Angelos had been looping him in. Instead, Moore had been communicating directly with Rubenstein in the weeks leading up to the deal, according to a person familiar with the governor’s correspondence. Afterward, Moore told reporters in Baltimore, “The transparency that was required, it was not there. It’s disappointing.”

Would you describe the lease negotiations as "laser focused?"  Two governors, around 34 months at least

With the decision not to exercise the 5-year option, the club and stadium authority are left with 11 months until an extension signed in February 2021 expires. That deal was made when the original lease, dating to 1992, neared its end.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/02/01/orioles-to-decline-5-year-camden-yards-lease-extension-say-new-long-term-agreement-would-revitalize-stadium-district/

I guess you never had Ledo when it was in Adelphi.   Before the franchise, people waited in long lines to get in on a Friday night.  Even College Park Ledo, before it became just another franchise, was much better than any chain pizza.  As to Pizza John's, you can buy their frozen pizzas in the store now.    I'm also of Italian descent , and yeah, I've had pizza in Italy.  My wife is from Jersey where every other block there's a pizza place better than Pizza John's. 

Finally, back on topic, let Kevin Plank put the UA name on the field, if there must be a sponsor.   Is the $6M-$8M rumored in additional revenue worth it?   I say, "no."

Yeah … I was just rattling off some places by memory. I don’t buy frozen Pizza anywhere. Honestly haven’t had much pizza from the east side in years since I live on the west side. Probably actually am thinking of John’s from 15 years ago or so. To answer your question I never had any of their pizza from any of the Ledos’ original locations. And you’re right about pizza in New York and Jersey. You can get a better pizza in tons of places. I will say in closing that while I’ve had Pizza Hut, Domino’s, PaPa John’s , Vizzini’s , I probably haven’t had any of it in 15+ years.

I’d be perfectly happy with UA Field, Domino Sugar, Old Bay Park, etc. 

2 hours ago, MCO&#x27;sFan said:

Classic Roll Tide response. Lol

Thanks 🙏….Really don’t take offense to that. I guess my point is that I prefer Mom & Pop over chain any day of the week. And as I mentioned to Tony S, I haven’t eaten much chain pizza in years. 

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Never claimed the lease negotiations were that, did I?

Check and mate. 

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You clearly are not a Marylander!!!  All of us love Ledos!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks 🙏….Really don’t take offense to that. I guess my point is that I prefer Mom & Pop over chain any day of the week. And as I mentioned to Tony S, I haven’t eaten much chain pizza in years. 

Sounds like someone still mad about the elephants losing in the semis???

Edited by Chelsea_Phil

13 hours ago, interloper said:

I am so ready for the MASN overhaul that I have to assume if coming at some point. Give the thing to Leonsis already. That guy sucks in his own way, but MASN can't get any worse. 

Funny thing is I decided to see if MASN had anything on last night, and they did. They had Sumo Wrestling on. Where else can you see Sumo Wrestling? I don't know of any channels. LOL

• Haha 1