2024 Yankees - Aaron Judge/Juan Soto friendship watch

Just Regular

Entertaining start here by Judge.     This may or may not have been him passing some of the boredom of Spring Training goofing around with baseball media and the public they cater to.    I guess possibly this could be him supporting his longer run teammate Anthony Volpe for top of the lineup envisioning he and Soto would go 3-4.

“I feel like if we can get a couple more guys on base in front of me, a couple of speedsters, I feel like that’s gonna help us produce more runs,” Judge said Tuesday. “If you got a guy like DJ leading off who’s gonna get on base, put the ball in play, work the count, especially if you have a little speedster in front of me, either bunt him over, move the guy over, get the guy in scoring position, then me in the three-hole can drive somebody in. But it might be a little old-school thinking on my part. Some of the guys I watched growing up, the best hitters were hitting third, and the run producers were three and four. But I don’t know. I don’t know why it means so much to me. I just want to find a way to help the team any way I can. If that’s me hitting third, it’s me hitting third.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very impressive Clarke Schmidt performance against Twins' lefty bats.     A knock on him entering this year was platoon struggles but he looks solidly improved.

Aaron Judge now leads Juan Soto in OPS by about 25 points.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Very impressive Clarke Schmidt performance against Twins' lefty bats.     A knock on him entering this year was platoon struggles but he looks solidly improved.

Aaron Judge now leads Juan Soto in OPS by about 25 points.

The last 164 times they have played, the Yankees are 120-44 against the Twins.

• Upvote 1

Hal to the NY Post, as reported on MLB Now this afternoon:

"I'm gonna be honest, payrolls at the levels we're at right now are simply not sustainable for us financially...   We've got a considerable amount of money coming off* next offseason...  We didn't have a considerable amount of money coming off last offseason, which is why we're at where we're at."

*Clay Holmes and Gleyber Torres, as well as the big fish

This year's division race will be thrilling, but I do think there's a chance this is the best Yankees team in awhile, while we're still experimenting with if we don't experience any asset loss deploying veterans instead of some of the world's strongest young players.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Judge just set the record for most barrels in a month with 25.

He has eight games left.

I thought Babe Ruth set that one.  Six barrels of beer in September 1927, while he was also hitting 17 homers. 

Judge only has 25 hits this month, so it’s kind of amazing that he has 25 barrels.  The year he hit 62 homers, he had 106 barrels but 177 hits.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yankees lose one to the last place Angels thanks to a Rizzo error, Holmes blown save, and offense that failed to get another baserunner after taking a lead in the 5th inning. 

I think I've heard around here that real championship contenders don't do these sort of things, so hopefully this knocks them out of the running. 

Edited by Spy Fox

Luis Gil has now made it so I can no longer really tell if Gerrit Cole is having setbacks trying to slide past his scare or NYY is just Grayson Rodriguez load managing the big guy.

If we get the NYY-BAL ALDS the bracket will probably lock, there are going to be some interesting considerations who gets put into bullpens.

On 5/30/2024 at 8:31 AM, Just Regular said:

Luis Gil has now made it so I can no longer really tell if Gerrit Cole is having setbacks trying to slide past his scare or NYY is just Grayson Rodriguez load managing the big guy.

If we get the NYY-BAL ALDS the bracket will probably lock, there are going to be some interesting considerations who gets put into bullpens.

Gerrit Cole shouldn't need load management.