Spring Training Lineups

DirtyBird

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Showcasing to try to get something for him?   They’ve also played Nevin a ton in the last several days.  

PS - I don’t think Wong started yesterday.  Mateo started at 2B.

Thanks for the correction.  I have no idea.   The tea leaves are confusing and the crystall ball is cloudy.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Showcasing to try to get something for him?   They’ve also played Nevin a ton in the last several days.  

PS - I don’t think Wong started yesterday.  Mateo started at 2B.

I don’t think we can get anything for him.  Wong has until 2pm tomorrow to request his unconditional release.  If he does submit the request, the Orioles have until noon on Sunday to either commit to add him to the 26 man roster or release him.  

While not required by the rules, the Orioles may want to tell Wong whether he has made the team by tomorrow’s 2pm deadline.  Perhaps tonight’s game is seen as his final evaluation.

2 hours ago, rm5678 said:

With Holliday on the bench tonight and not starting, I'm wondering if that means the "evaluating" is over and that they've made their decision one way or another.

I honestly think Elias has already made the decision to start Holliday in AAA to start the season. If that's the case, Holliday will stay with the big league club through the end of spring training in case there's an injury.

Everything in Holliday's usage the past week or so does NOT suggest a player who's going to make the Opening Day roster. Opening Day is next week, and he's been on the bench each of the past 2 games. Furthermore, he hasn't been getting very many starts at 2B alongside Gunnar when Gunnar is playing SS. If Elias were planning on having Holliday start the season on the major league roster, he would have gotten Holliday way more reps with Gunnar in games by now.

I'm really surprised that a majority of posters on the board have seen Holliday's recent usage and still think he's going to make the OD roster. I could easily be totally wrong and have interpreted Elias's intentions completely incorrectly, but, over decades of following baseball, this isn't how any teams I've watched prepare a rookie for his first Opening Day.

If Wong doesn't opt out, that solidifies the decision to start Jackson in AAA because that means Elias has informed Wong that he's making the team. If Wong opts out, the team could also still decide to put him on the roster and inform him of that by Saturday. So we should have some more clarity soon.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

I honestly think Elias has already made the decision to start Holliday in AAA to start the season. If that's the case,

If that is the case i think he handled the situation poorly this spring.  If the guy can't succeed don't put him in a situation in which he can visibly check all the boxes.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that is the case i think he handled the situation poorly this spring.  If the guy can't succeed don't put him in a situation in which he can visibly check all the boxes.

Exactly.

We have no idea why Hyde's strarting who he's starting. Wong hadn't started the 2 games prior to today. Maybe that's why he started today?

Anything anyone says is complete conjecture at this point.

Does anyone have a link to that explains with Wong opt out deal?

10 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

We have no idea why Hyde's strarting who he's starting. Wong hadn't started the 2 games prior to today. Maybe that's why he started today?

Anything anyone says is complete conjecture at this point.

Does anyone have a link to that explains with Wong opt out deal?

Try this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/31-veterans-with-opt-out-opportunities-looming-this-week.html

• Upvote 1

Take a look around the league…..You won’t find many other Teams’ opening day second basemen coming into a spring training game in the 6th inning with 3 days left in spring training.  The starters are either starting or resting.