Will the O’s trade away a position player before Opening Day?

Frobby

Will the O’s trade away a position player before Opening Day?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O’s trade away a position player before Opening Day?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/13/24 at 19:07

It’s pretty obvious that the O’s still have a big surplus of major league ready position player talent.   Do you think they’ll trade anyone away before Opening Day?   

I feel that they should.  

I agree they should, but I don't think Elias will.  We had a logjam last year, and he didn't trade any top 10 prospects or veterans to alleviate the surplus.  

• Upvote 1

No.  On the 10th of March I see 15 position players for 13 spots.   But the toughest part of ST is yet to happen.    Give it time to shake out.

OF - (5) Hays, Mullins, Santander,  Cowser, Stowers

IF - (8) Gunnar, Mounty, O'Hearn, Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Urias, Mateo

C- (2) Adley, McCann

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

I voted yes, because there wasn't a third option.  I feel like they will, but I do not think they have to.  They have worked hard to have this much depth and if there isn't a deal that suits them, Elias will likely manage the best he can.  So I think we are looking into moves.

But a no won't surprise me in the least.

• Upvote 1

Probably a small deal, if they do. There’s still a few weeks left. A lot can happen in that time. Mateo is playing a lot of SS, more than I thought he would. Perhaps to showcase him? IDK. Urias seems to be redundant in some ways. I can see a case for both to stay if they can adjust and accept part-time roles. Same with McKenna.

The only thing to add is that the “best 26” doesn’t necessarily make the best “team.”

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No.  On the 10th of March I see 15 position players for 13 spots.   But the toughest part of ST is yet to happen.    Give it time to shake out.

OF - (5) Hays, Mullins, Santander,  Cowser, Stowers

IF - (8) Gunnar, Mounty, O'Hearn, Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Urias, Mateo

C- (2) Adley, McCann

Kjerstad is also ahead of Cowser and Stowers.  The Orioles value the sample from MLB last year more than spring training. You can also add Wong to the list.

10 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Kjerstad is also ahead of Cowser and Stowers.  The Orioles value the sample from MLB last year more than spring training. You can also add Wong to the list.

Kjerstad has to hit his way onto this team this spring.  So far he is not doing it.  There is still time for him to show off his talent but right now I think he is headed for AAA.   His 233/281/481/749 in 33 PA from last year does not get him on the team if he is not hitting well.

Wong is here to tutor Holliday on how to play 2B.  I don't see Wong making the team. If Holliday does not make the team Westburg/Urias will play 2B.

I think that McKenna is DFA'd around opening day to try to get him to AAA.

Edited by wildcard

A few more months at AAA isn't going to hamper anyone's development. Why make a trade now when the return is unlikely to be impactful to the 2024 team? The deadline will likely yield a better return. Save your chips. Cash them in when you need to cash them in. Being patient is boring, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Urias has a role on this team.   He is the defensive backup that comes in to play 3B behind Mayo.   Urias could play in a lot of games.    

Westburg is not as good as Urias at 3B.  

That isn't enough to justify a roster spot when you also have Mateo and Gunnar can slide over. He can also pinch hit but who for? If we can get any kind of bullpen piece or prospect back I'd think he should be moved. It would hurt to not get anything in return but I don't see what he gives us other than blocking guys. We have all the guys from last year except Frazier. Holliday replaces Frazier. You still need to find ABs for Westburg and Mayo. Something has to give.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

A few more months at AAA isn't going to hamper anyone's development. Why make a trade now when the return is unlikely to be impactful to the 2024 team? The deadline will likely yield a better return. Save your chips. Cash them in when you need to cash them in. Being patient is boring, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

What if you could not hurt the 2024 team but potentially help the 2027 team?

I'd either be looking to add an impact bullpen piece or pieces that are several years away.

Stashing guys that are MLB ready in AAA while guys with lower ceilings are on the team doesn't seem like the "right thing to do".

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Farhan waiving J.D. Davis after winning Chapman is kind of the spring equivalent of Lucas Giolito getting waived in August.     This is going to be a thing next CBA.

In the Bottom 10% disaster scenario the Orioles don't challenge for a playoff berth, I believe Anthony Santander and Craig Kimbrel would be put on waivers in August.

Hate the game, not the player.

I think chances are about as good Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo have the J.D. Davis path off the roster if Elias chooses to re-deploy it.

Manny Machado and Xander Bogaerts are effectively permanent free agents if/when the Padres next control people choose to draw down.