March 21st @ Boston

nevadaO

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does Heasley have options?

According to Roch when we got him:

The Royals recalled and sent down Heasley twice this season. He has one minor league option left.

This is the corresponding move for Kansas City after signing free-agent starter Michael Wacha, which became official this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does Heasley have options?

I’d love to answer this but reading the rule is pretty confusing to me.  (Something I’ve never taken the time to grasp before.)

He was signed in 2018 and has played every season since, making his debut September 17, 2021. Was optioned 3 times in 2022 and 3 times in 2023 but the first of those was March 17 (before the season started?), traded to us in Dec 2023.

What can you make of that? What additional info is needed to determine what he’s got this year?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, justD said:

I’d love to answer this but reading the rule is pretty confusing to me.  (Something I’ve never taken the time to grasp before.)

He was signed in 2018 and has played every season since, making his debut September 17, 2021. Was optioned 3 times in 2022 and 3 times in 2023 but the first of those was March 17 (before the season started?), traded to us in Dec 2023.

What can you make of that? What additional info is needed to determine what he’s got this year?

Once you use the option in a year that counts as one, and the player can be optioned as many times as necessary (after 5 they have to pass through outright assignment waivers). That was used in 2022.

In 2023 he was optioned again, so number two.

Edited by nevadaO

1 minute ago, nevadaO said:

Once you use the option in a year that counts as one, and the player can be optioned as many times as necessary (after 5 they have to pass through outright assignment waivers). That was used in 2022.

In 2023 he was optioned again, so number two.

Ah, right.  Why is his 3rd option his last? 

1 minute ago, justD said:

Ah, right.  Why is his 3rd option his last? 

That's just the number of options everyone is assigned (of course there are cases where they can be assigned a 4th option year). It gives the team some flexibility while also making sure a team can't keep a player stashed in their minor league system forever.

• Thanks 1