Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

An honest question for the posters here, and not intended for anyone in particular:  Is it possible some posters don't see emoticons or possibly misunderstand their meaning?

Not see the emoticons, no, probably not possible.

Misunderstand or ignore them, 100% yes lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, call me crazy but I don't think his .795 OPS is irreplaceable by a platoon of two young hitters as fine as Mayo and Kjerstad. I'm not usually an agressive call-up guy but Mayo's bat strikes me as special, to the point where might even well exceed whatever Mountcastle is doing, and I think he's beyond ready at this point. Kjerstad strikes me as likely able to put up a pretty decent OPS against righties only, too. 

Call it a high upside move, considering that you would get something of value back for Mountcastle, with a pretty low risk overall, IMO, in that you hedge your bets with two fine young hitters like that, in case one has more growing pains than expected, and you also have the platoon factor. 

The problem is that A-Mountcastle plays in the field too (and is much better than OHearn) and B-you’re counting on these guys to immediately succeed. None of our prospects in the last couple years (outside Adley maybe) have come up and immediately succeeded.

Just now, survivedc said:

The problem is that A-Mountcastle plays in the field too (and is much better than OHearn) and B-you’re counting on these guys to immediately succeed. None of our prospects in the last couple years (outside Adley maybe) have come up and immediately succeeded.

He doesn’t need to immediately succeed.  But if he can get growing pains out of the way now and have his feet wet by mid to late August, he should be in good shape the rest of the way.

Its ok to sacrifice a little now for the good of the long term.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

I personally am in the trade Mountie camp and am also in the "it won't improve this team this year" camp. I am much more interested in winning in '25 and beyond than winning in '24.

Edited by 1fingerwillie

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

People keep saying that, but Machado was a two month rental and the Orioles got back four? and Kremer wasn't even the headliner. The right team to push them to the top? Santander may be preferred. RM has shown power of late. Point is, it's not cut and dried.

I would be absolutely delighted to be wrong on this. I personally think Mountie represents more value, but for a team that really wants to try to do it this year, then maybe Santandar would be the better fit.

Regardless, there are 4-5 players in the 26 that won't be here in April. If we can get good pitching prospects for any of them, I would be over the moon. 

Has anyone ever read or heard about what specifically is wrong with  JH's elbow besides 'inflammation'? 

Does he have a Tommy John type injury?  Bone chip?   I have looked and everything is very vague.

Kind of concerning that he is just DHing and they still gave him another day off last night.  That can't be a good sign.

21 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Has anyone ever read or heard about what specifically is wrong with  JH's elbow besides 'inflammation'? 

Does he have a Tommy John type injury?  Bone chip?   I have looked and everything is very vague.

Kind of concerning that he is just DHing and they still gave him another day off last night.  That can't be a good sign.

Could be a bad sign.  On the other hand he hasn’t played in a while and maybe they’re just giving the legs a day off after 2 games. 

Nothing specific about the injury.

21 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yeah maybe it makes sense on paper but it would be a bad clubhouse move to trade a guy about to make his first all star game who has been doing battle with his teammates for years. Also I'm not sure who you could get that would make it worthwhile

You totally negate your argument to keep him when you say you don't think he would return anyone that would make it worthwhile.

I think Mountcastle is a good clubhouse guy and has been a very solid player.  I was happy that the Orioles moved Mancini to Houston to make room for Mountcastle.  A similar move here could be beneficial.  

The situations are not identical.  Mancini was a pending free agent and even though the Orioles were in the hunt of a playoff, they were not considered a contender.  So moving Mancini brought us back useful pieces AND allowed Mountcastle to step in.

IF the Orioles move Mountcastle, they need to get SP or RP to help now, right?  It would be pretty ballsy to trade him for minor league pitching depth only.  I think Kjerstad or Mayo could outhit him the rest of the way, but I just don't think you move him unless it is for pitching that can help now.

And to your point, I think Mountcastle could return pitching help.  Absolutely.

56 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The Orioles always seem to give a guy the day off after his first day back post-injury. They've done that with a lot of guys on the ML team, and I suspect they are just treating Holliday very carefully. 

• Upvote 1

Holliday went 1 for 2 with 3 walks on Friday night.

2024: .444 OBP, .911 OPS

MiLB Career: .447 OBP, .931 OPS

His OBP is EXACTLY what this O's team needs, would fill a key offensive weakness at 2nd base, help grind opposing pitching, and magnify the power up and down the lineup.  It's all dependent on his ability to throw and play 2B at a passable level.

If Holliday starts to hit at the ML level, the question of who bats leadoff is over for the foreseeable future and we can go back to complaining about 1 slumping hitter or backup catcher at the bottom of the lineup.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Holliday went 1 for 2 with 3 walks on Friday night.

2024: .444 OBP, .911 OPS

MiLB Career: .447 OBP, .931 OPS

His OBP is EXACTLY what this O's team needs, would fill a key offensive weakness at 2nd base, help grind opposing pitching, and magnify the power up and down the lineup.  It's all dependent on his ability to throw and play 2B at a passable level.

If Holliday starts to hit at the ML level, the question of who bats leadoff is over for the foreseeable future and we can go back to complaining about 1 slumping hitter or backup catcher at the bottom of the lineup.

If you take Mateo’s name off the back of his jersey and just look at the stats and defense… he might be an all star if a team needed a single representative, and might be a gold glove winner. 

Mateo’s had some big hits recently.