Bullpen 2024

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Kimbrel with back to back 1 run saves after going 0-4 before that.

With a leadoff walk and stolen base! Sure looked like he might blow another one. Fortunately the Rangers didn't bunt and Kimbrel got a popup. The leadoff man is incredibly important for Kimbrel in these one run games. I almost want to use Cano or someone else in the one run games. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

With a leadoff walk and stolen base! Sure looked like he might blow another one. Fortunately the Rangers didn't bunt and Kimbrel got a popup. The leadoff man is incredibly important for Kimbrel in these one run games. I almost want to use Cano or someone else in the one run games. 

Cano?  WTF?

There is no one else better than Kimbrel in this current pen. In fact, no one is even close imo.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Fair enough. I still wouldn't say Scott has *more* reversion risk than Miller. He has basically 1 elite year plus 0.5 good vs 2 good years + 0.5 elite. To me the most alarming thing is the drop in K/9 and spike in BB. To me that is a huge red flag that Scott is reverting to the guy he's been most of his career. Based on K/BB and FIP last year looks more like an outlier.

If Povich is this year's Eduardo, that's a hard no for me. Norby would be a no. Bradfield would be real tough. I think I would be OK with a lower top 10 guy for him so we may not be that far apart. 

Did you not notice the part where Scott’s walks keep trending down this year after a terrible start?    14 walks in his last 30 IP.   5 walks in his last 16.   Very similar to last year as he got better and better.

As far as the cost, I wouldn’t do Povich but I would probably do Bradfield.   With Cowser’s ability to play CF plus the emergence of Etzel (playing CF more and more at Bowie even with Fabian there), plus Bradfields ok not great season-to-date.

I have no idea if Scott can be had for less or if another team bids more.  

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tanner Scott was one of the best relievers in baseball last year.  He had a shaky April but he’s good again the last two months.

I hadn't realized how well he has turned his season around.  Interestingly, he's done it without striking out a prodigious number of guys (9.6 and 9.8 K/9 the last two months).  I do think he's a credible target at this point.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Ha. I agree, the other options aren't good. I'm just thinking... whoever pitched the 8th, leave them in for the leadoff guy? 

No…no one is good. Coloumbe is our best guy but he’s out.

Btw, the first batter has a 514 OPs vs Kimbrel, so I think the first batter thing is in your head.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did you not notice the part where Scott’s walks keep trending down this year after a terrible start?    14 walks in his last 30 IP.   5 walks in his last 16.   Very similar to last year as he got better and better.

As far as the cost, I wouldn’t do Povich but I would probably do Bradfield.   With Cowser’s ability to play CF plus the emergence of Etzel (playing CF more and more at Bowie even with Fabian there), plus Bradfields ok not great season-to-date.

I have no idea if Scott can be had for less or if another team bids more.  

14 walks in 30 IP is good?

Anyway we're not that far apart aside from the Miller comparison so kinda pointless to keep arguing. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No…no one is good. Coloumbe is our best guy but he’s out.

Btw, the first batter has a 514 OPs vs Kimbrel, so I think the first batter thing is in your head.

Absolutely, he's usually gotten that first guy so he's been effective overall. It's just maddening that when the first guy gets on he's almost automatic to be on second.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kimbrel with back to back 1 run saves after going 0-4 before that.

He had several days off during the losing streak and it appears to have helped him. What worries me is even if Hyde does a better job managing his innings in the second half there isn’t much he can do in the playoffs if he is our defacto closer. 

Something stood out to me last night about Kimbrel. The Os needed an out in the 8th inning and there doesn’t seem like there was a consideration to have Kimbrel get a 4 out save.

Now I can’t say I blame Hyde for that, just that it could be an issue come playoff time.  Most teams are able to ask their closers to do that and I’m not sure the Os will do that with him or even trust him to do that.

They would do that with Felix at times.

Just have to get multiple high leverage relievers this deadline.

26 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

He had several days off during the losing streak and it appears to have helped him. What worries me is even if Hyde does a better job managing his innings in the second half there isn’t much he can do in the playoffs if he is our defacto closer. 

You get tons of off days in the playoffs and Burnes can pitch a game 7. But I agree I would much prefer a more elite guy.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Something stood out to me last night about Kimbrel. The Os needed an out in the 8th inning and there doesn’t seem like there was a consideration to have Kimbrel get a 4 out save.

Now I can’t say I blame Hyde for that, just that it could be an issue come playoff time.  Most teams are able to ask their closers to do that and I’m not sure the Os will do that with him or even trust him to do that.

They would do that with Felix at times.

Just have to get multiple high leverage relievers this deadline.

Good observation. At least this suggests Hyde is aware of Kimbrel's limitations.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

30 IP in 37 games.  .3 fwar.   Better than average.  Never accumulated an fwar higher than .7, as a reliever, until 2014.

2014 was only his third year as a reliever. I don’t like fwar for pitchers. He had a higher K/9 and lower BB/9 than Scott does.