Bullpen 2024

Opening Day observations,

- Baumann hit 98/99 on some fastballs. Maybe he just tired out last season?

- Akin looked better, but lots of full counts/pitches to get outs. 

- Tate didn’t do so well, but it was a good game to get him back into an MLB game.

- Webb on Paternity List. 

- Vespi with the surprise call up. 

It’ll be interesting to see how much we up/down guys to keep fresh arms in the pen. Tate, Vespi, and Akin, are the members of our current pen with options. 

Love to know who was calling the pitches for Baumann. The Hicks AB was mind boggling in its stupidity. Up by 7, Burnes had retired 16 Angels in a row, and Baumann goes:

breaking ball (ball1)

breaking ball (ball 2)

98 MPH fastball (swinging strike)

change up (ball 3)

breaking ball (ball 4)

The game score eased the heartburn somewhat, but in a tighter game against a better opponent that pitch sequence would have blown off the top of my head. 

2 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Love to know who was calling the pitches for Baumann. The Hicks AB was mind boggling in its stupidity. Up by 7, Burnes had retired 16 Angels in a row, and Baumann goes:

breaking ball (ball1)

breaking ball (ball 2)

98 MPH fastball (swinging strike)

change up (ball 3)

breaking ball (ball 4)

The game score eased the heartburn somewhat, but in a tighter game against a better opponent that pitch sequence would have blown off the top of my head. 

Palmer said basically the same thing after the 98 mph fastball swinging strike.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2/3 batters he faced were full counts. It’s just something to point out when evaluating Akin. He’s always struggled with control. Just some info deeper than the box score. 

2.2 BB/9 in ‘22

2.7 BB/9 when he was getting crushed last season. 

Not sure he’s always struggled with control

45 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I expected to see Vespi yesterday. Get him some time in a blowout game so he keeps other arms out and will be optioned when Webb gets back. 

I would also expect that … in June

It was great to get a look at those 3 guys yesterday because the Orioles are going to need at least one or two from that group to step up big this year. My observations:

Tate’s velo was way, way down from when he was last healthy, over 3 mph. However, the movement on the sinker looked pretty good. I know he’s a very analytically oriented pitcher, so I wonder if he made conscious adjustments somehow for more movement and it’s not just that he has diminished velo after the injury? And perhaps trying to max his velo got him hurt before? That’s the only positive spin I can put on it, not a lot of successful 90 mph sinkerballers having success in the majors. His command was horrible, but I won’t read too much into that yet, he may have had some nerves and by the stats he didn’t have any issues like that in Spring Training. 

Baumann made some dramatic changes to his set up, with his front leg very open. Quite unusual. It didn’t look like it helped at all from a command standpoint, he was almost as bad as Tate. However he was really slinging it, and his fastball at 98/99 with a nice bump in spin rate too looks like a potentially dominant heater. I’m cautiously optimistic with him. 

Akin didn’t look dramatically different, but healthy now, and easily pitched the best of the 3 command-wise. When he’s going well his fastball plays way above it’s velo and that’s what he looked like yesterday and apparently all Spring Training. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It was great to get a look at those 3 guys yesterday because the Orioles are going to need at least one or two from that group to step up big this year. My observations:

Tate’s velo was way, way down from when he was last healthy, over 3 mph. However, the movement on the sinker looked pretty good. I know he’s a very analytically oriented pitcher, so I wonder if he made conscious adjustments somehow for more movement and it’s not just that he has diminished velo after the injury? And perhaps trying to max his velo got him hurt before? That’s the only positive spin I can put on it, not a lot of successful 90 mph sinkerballers having success in the majors. His command was horrible, but I won’t read too much into that yet, he may have had some nerves and by the stats he didn’t have any issues like that in Spring Training. 

Baumann made some dramatic changes to his set up, with his front leg very open. Quite unusual. It didn’t look like it helped at all from a command standpoint, he was almost as bad as Tate. However he was really slinging it, and his fastball at 98/99 with a nice bump in spin rate too looks like a potentially dominant heater. I’m cautiously optimistic with him. 

Akin didn’t look dramatically different, but healthy now, and easily pitched the best of the 3 command-wise. When he’s going well his fastball plays way above it’s velo and that’s what he looked like yesterday and apparently all Spring Training. 

Yep, pretty spot on here. Baumann's windup really look completely different, I know they made mention on the broadcast of maybe helping him have a better rhythm. Velo-wise, that's the kind of arm he was touted to have as a prospect, so that's great to see. I don't think he'll be a dominant reliever, but a slight improvement on last year would go a LONG way for this bullpen. 

Akin looks like he's somewhat in shape, finally. 94 from a lefty with command will get you pretty far. I'm pretty bullish on him looking like his 2022 self. 

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

- Akin looked better, but lots of full counts/pitches to get outs. 

Two strikeouts and a very routine ground out with an xBA of .210.   I’ll take that every day and twice on Sunday.   

Jacob Webb is apparently down 3 mph from last year, just like Tate. 

Cionel Pérez had terrible spring training and now a core/oblique injury, perhaps it’s been bothering him all spring (although his velo was fine). 

Could easily see Vespi for Perez IL tomorrow and wouldn’t be surprised to see Baker for Tate soon. I don’t see how they can carry both Tate and Webb clearly working through much worse velo than they should have. They can’t option Webb, so I expect he’ll hit the IL if that velo doesn’t start coming back soon. 

Not an ideal start to the season for the pen health-wise. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Cionel Pérez had terrible spring training and now a core/oblique injury, perhaps it’s been bothering him all spring (although his velo was fine). 

Could easily see Vespi for Perez IL tomorrow and wouldn’t be surprised to see Baker for Tate soon. I don’t see how they can carry both Tate and Webb clearly working through much worse velo than they should have. They can’t option Webb, so I expect he’ll hit the IL if that velo doesn’t start coming back soon. 

Dude is operating on like zero sleep given paternity return.  Webb was 94 mph in the spring.  Now when I saw Tate, he was 90-91 mph in spring. 

26 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

You’re most likely going to be down 2-3 mph in the early months of the year so I am not too worried.  GRod was most 94-96 today.