Bullpen 2024

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not saying that we can find another Mason Miller. But what I am saying is that other teams have a good/effective bullpen and I was citing the A’s as a team that does.

IMO if they (and other teams) can do it, so can we. Just because the Rays don’t have a great pen this year doesn’t mean no one can, or that it’s some sort of hopeless endeavor.

I agree but the A's found theirs sort of by accident.   It wasn't plan A.

Who in the offseason was available who would've been more reliable than Kimbrel? FA relievers are always a crapshoot, and Hader would've turned out worse. Not sure if anyone was available through trades but I haven't heard a lot of real names there.

It's not fullproof to build a bullpen through hoping some younger guys pan out but that's just how they happen. Our pipeline just ran out, and our starter injuries meant we couldn't put our SP depth there though maybe that changes this week. I hope Povich or someone else can become a real candidate.

Was it wrong for Hyde to let Kimbrel stay in, despite all the warning signs Hyde had seen? Hyde let Kimbrel make the decision, and I think that’s another problem, but I’m not sure. Despite everything, getting him out before the HR could have saved the game.

Did Hyde address that after the game?

Just now, Philip said:

Was it wrong for Hyde to let Kimbrel stay in, despite all the warning signs Hyde had seen? Hyde let Kimbrel make the decision, and I think that’s another problem, but I’m not sure. Despite everything, getting him out before the HR could have saved the game.

He did, you can even hear what he said during the post-game on the MASN website and it's free.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Hyde addressed it. Not entirely satisfactory IMO. Hyde said he was in with the trainers looking at his back. Said he didn't like the way Kimbrel was walking around between pitches. That prompted the mound visit. Kimbrel said he was OK and got a warmup pitch that looked OK so Hyde let him pitch. What I really don't get is how he could be allowed to stay in for another pitch after the home run ball (but since he did start the next batter, I don't think it is clear what they saw that caused them to pull him out). It was all very weird but I do think Hyde may have been too deferential to the veteran.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde addressed it. Not entirely satisfactory IMO. Hyde said he was in with the trainers looking at his back. Said he didn't like the way Kimbrel was walking around between pitches. That prompted the mound visit. Kimbrel said he was OK and got a warmup pitch that looked OK so Hyde let him pitch. What I really don't get is how he could be allowed to stay in for another pitch after the home run ball (but since he did start the next batter, I don't think it is clear what they saw that caused them to pull him out). It was all very weird but I do think Hyde may have been too deferential to the veteran.

That was my overall take as well. Hyde should have taken him out but I understand letting him in. I just wonder if Kimbrel was in charge of the exchange.

thanks for sharing the info.

I can't remember the last time Kimbrel threw a curveball. His fastball which has been outstanding up in the zone has been down when he's able to throw it over. I'm not sure what's going, but it sure seems like something is bothering him.

Roch’s blog mentioned Akin as a potential candidate to be sent down because his option. I can’t believe that Elias would make such a poor move. Imagine removing a guy with a 3.46 ERA, 1.60 xERA, and 35% K% from a bullpen that’s struggling. Especially if it’s to keep Baumann around, who pitched himself out of the bullpen last year and has not been much better this year. Option or no option, that’s not solving anything if you’re removing one of your best relievers. 

40 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The Orioles have optioned Dillon Tate and actived Cionel Perez from IL. I'm certain we will see Perez pitch tonight because he's the freshest arm.

Tate was tired and unavailable tonight, but could pitch Tuesday or Wednesday. why option him instead of dumping Ramirez?

Ramirez is horrible. Why keep him, fresh or not? Now Tate is gone for 10 days.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tate was tired and unavailable tonight, but could pitch Tuesday or Wednesday. why option him instead of dumping Ramirez?

Because Ramirez gives us another available arm tonight/tomorrow. We will burn him and churn him when Means or Bradish is ready. In the meantime, start the clock on Tate so we get him back in 10 days. 

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

My opinion of Elias has changed quite a bit since this offseason. I kind of wonder if maybe he's really good at dismantling and rebuiding a team but has no idea how to construct the roster of a World Series contender. The Tate demotion is just plain stupid.

Can you name another GM with a huge stockpile of blocked minor league studs that wouldn't trade them for quality pitching help? Watching the Oakland series I realized just how bad our bullpen is.

And for the love of God get McKenna off this team.  

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Not that I want Kimbrel to go on the IL, but Tate could be back sooner in the event Kimbrel needs an IL stint. Also since Tate is a pitcher it's a 15 day minimum stay in the minor leagues if no injuries pop up on the MLB roster.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

My opinion of Elias has changed quite a bit since this offseason. I kind of wonder if maybe he's really good at dismantling and rebuiding a team but has no idea how to construct the roster of a World Series contender. The Tate demotion is just plain stupid.

Can you name another GM with a huge stockpile of blocked minor league studs that wouldn't trade them for quality pitching help? Watching the Oakland series I realized just how bad our bullpen is.

And for the love of God get McKenna off this team.  

Just terrible at building a roster.  102 wins last year.   Despite 2 losses in the last 3 games, currently on a 102 win pace this year.   On paper our rotation and lineup are among the best.  The bullpen looked competent but not intimidating.   With all of the IL pitchers coming back it should be better but we probably still need another power arm out there.