Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Looks like I’m wrong.  It says September with expanded rosters doesn’t count towards the 45 days but 130 AB’s is the other threshold.

Why wouldn’t September days count? I think you were right the first time.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/rookie-eligibility

In any case, I think it’s roster space much more than ROY eligibility holding Mayo in AAA right now. If he’d help them win more games right now he should be called up. If they get closer to a point where they can snag keeping him ROY eligible they may consider it - e.g., if they don’t make space at the trade deadline end of July, maybe they go a couple weeks with somebody else before calling up Mayo mid-August.

I think it will naturally work out to have one of Holliday or Mayo be ROY eligible next year but not a priority for either of them. Holliday only had 2 weeks earlier, so I think he could be the callup when rosters expand September 1 and stay under 45 days (and that was perhaps deliberate in the timing of the decision to send him down).

But I think, at a minimum, Mayo will be on the postseason roster to be DH vs LHP. We usually use Adley with McCann catching during the regular season, but obviously Adley will catch every game in the playoffs. So Mayo needs to get enough MLB reps to feel comfortable with him in that role at least.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I know Mateo finished the game but there is absolutely no reason for him to tough it through that game injury. Just bring up Mayo and put Westy at second.

I’m all for bringing Mayo up and putting Westburg at 2B whether Mateo is injured or not.   How much do you know about Mateo’s injury?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no logical reason for him to have another MiL at bat unless he still has any effects from the injury he had…and if he does, there are zero signs that’s the case. 

On this promotion we agree. It's time for Coby Mayo to be playing everyday 3B in Baltimore.

• Upvote 4

We’ve heard strong rumors that he was days away from promotion when he got hurt.  So, it seems likely he’ll be promoted as soon as the O’s think he’s back to full speed.  Ignoring the rehab games, he’s at .375/.444/.708 since returning to the Tides.   Seems pretty ready to me.   It’s still not clear to me how much he’ll play once he’s up.  

12 minutes ago, mddisney said:

Can we trade Urias/Mateo to get any decent RP help?  I am not sure but Mayo up means one of them needs to go.  Now both will need to go when Holliday comes up which i think should be in late summer.  what do i know?

Mateo is the more useful player so my preference would be the team trades Urias to open up a spot for Mayo. Mateo plays multiple positions pretty well and can pinch run. Trade Urias for a low level MILB player if that's the best Elias can get for him.

I'd love to pick up a potential bullpen arm, but I don't think Urias getting you a decent pitcher in return.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We’ve heard strong rumors that he was days away from promotion when he got hurt.  So, it seems likely he’ll be promoted as soon as the O’s think he’s back to full speed.  Ignoring the rehab games, he’s at .375/.444/.708 since returning to the Tides.   Seems pretty ready to me.   It’s still not clear to me how much he’ll play once he’s up.  

They have treated certain prospects as everyday guys upon promotion.  Adley, Gunnar, Holliday (before his demotion). 

I think Mayo falls into that category.  That caliber of prospect. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

They have treated certain prospects as everyday guys upon promotion.  Adley, Gunnar, Holliday (before his demotion). 

I think Mayo falls into that category.  That caliber of prospect. 

It’s getting harder to do because of the quality of the other players we have.   

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I would love for Mayo to get called up now. But who goes to make space? The only option is Kjerstad, and it makes no sense for them to send him down again after just calling him up. 

I also don’t think they’re going to send down Hays or Mullins, so it would have to be an Urias trade. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I would love for Mayo to get called up now. But who goes to make space? The only option is Kjerstad, and it makes no sense for them to send him down again after just calling him up. 

I also don’t think they’re going to send down Hays or Mullins, so it would have to be an Urias trade. 

I actually think it should be Cowser. If you are serious about Kjerstad getting playing time, Mullins and Cowser are redundant.