Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

By all accounts he's not a good defender, but I kind of want to wait to judge him until he starts hitting and looks comfortable offensively. At that point, he may settle in defensively with some added confidence. Not saying that's a definite or anything, just saying. 

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

By all accounts he's not a good defender, but I kind of want to wait to judge him until he starts hitting and looks comfortable offensively. At that point, he may settle in defensively with some added confidence. Not saying that's a definite or anything, just saying. 

He hit quite well in the minors, and I think its accurate to say he did not settle in defensively with that added confidence.  I think you're hoping for something to occur in the majors that didn't even materialize in the minors.

I think CM will be a very good player and I expect him to grow into his body as he gets older and become more coordinated-especially when playing 3rd base.  He is a tall gangly kind of kid and right now he kind of reminds me of a young yearling race horse who is all legs trying to run.

He will smooth out.

Will be get better this year in time for the playoffs?  Sure hope so. 

I do wonder again, what these Os are teaching the birdlings on the farm about defense.  These guys have played baseball all of their lives.  Fielding a ground ball and throwing to first base SHOULD NOT be this difficult.  We have all done it 1000s of times and I haven't even play as a pro. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think CM will be a very good player and I expect him to grow into his body as he gets older and become more coordinated-especially when playing 3rd base.  He is a tall gangly kind of kid and right now he kind of reminds me of a young yearling race horse who is all legs trying to run.

He will smooth out.

Will be get better this year in time for the playoffs?  Sure hope so. 

I do wonder again, what these Os are teaching the birdlings on the farm about defense.  These guys have played baseball all of their lives.  Fielding a ground ball and throwing to first base SHOULD NOT be this difficult.  We have all done it 1000s of times and I haven't even play as a pro. 

Fielding a ball in high school or college (if you were good enough for that) is a lot different than fielding a 105 mph ball off the bat of Vlad Guerrero in front of 35,000 people. I don’t think you’d look like Manny Machado out there. Just like with everything, there is an adjustment period. Not everything is so black and white as you always seem to paint it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

He hit quite well in the minors, and I think its accurate to say he did not settle in defensively with that added confidence.  I think you're hoping for something to occur in the majors that didn't even materialize in the minors.

Yeah, the Orioles were raving about his defensive changes in the preseason due to a changed arm angle and supposed improved foot work, but that really didn't translate in the actual games from what I can tell. 

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

Fielding a ball in high school or college (if you were good enough for that) is a lot different than fielding a 105 mph ball off the bat of Vlad Guerrero in front of 35,000 people. I don’t think you’d look like Manny Machado out there. Just like with everything, there is an adjustment period. Not everything is so black and white as you always seem to paint it. 

I understand that.  And of course I wouldn't be as good a fielder by any means.  But these guys have played 1000s of games and had 1000s of practices.  It is hard to believe a CM couldn't play a passable 3rd base. 

• Downvote 1

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mayo

The early book on Mayo is to feed him sliders, go down and away, stay off the barrel and away from his enormous power.

“I’ve had some good at-bats spitting on those pitches,” he said. “I’ve worked in some really good counts, hit some balls hard. Unfortunately, right at people sometimes. Or you’re getting your pitches and you’re fouling them off, which, you need to do damage with those pitches when they’re leaving them in the zone, especially the fastballs. So just a combination of a few good swings right at guys and swinging at pitches that are getting me in bad counts. It’s tough.”

Mayo swung at a first-pitch slider Wednesday night after striking out in his first two at-bats and lined to shortstop at 104.3 mph. That’s the bad luck part of his experience. But if fishing for positives, it happened on a pitch that’s supposed to leave him catching only air.

Through it all, Mayo has stayed confident in his abilities and reminded himself not to press and make it worse.

“Like I said the first day, I was talking to Jackson about it,” Mayo said. “I thought my first game was really good, working the three 3-2 counts, two walks. I kind of felt like those walks were almost hits because it’s almost harder to walk. They’re really good pitchers and throwing to really experienced catchers. Yeah, the walks felt good.

“I think once the first one falls it’ll kind of take a little weight off your shoulders. But I haven’t really thought about the hit much. I know I hit .300 in Triple-A. It’s a lot different in Triple-A but I know what kind of hitter I am and what kind of hitter I’m hopefully going to be in this league.”

• Upvote 2

Seems that Mayo is not going to get the Adley, Gunnar, Holliday treatment but will ride the pine, most likely because of his defensive short comings so far.

If the Orioles have no intention of starting him they should send him back to AAA. Not a fan of taking uber prospects and having them ride the pine while a player like Urias gets the PAs. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seems that Mayo is not going to get the Adley, Gunnar, Holliday treatment but will ride the pine, most likely because of his defensive short comings so far.

If the Orioles have no intention of starting him they should send him back to AAA. Not a fan of taking uber prospects and having them ride the pine while a player like Urias gets the PAs. 

Has a top 10 prospect in all of baseball ever been promoted and sat this much right off the bat? Seems highly unusual. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Crossing my fingers they are trying something different with him. After the first few games of 0'fer, Hyde said he wanted Mayo to watch from the dugout to observe the pitching and strike zone. Hopefully that's what this is and he'll start getting inserted into the lineup every day, maybe after Monday off day? However, if they are going to be giving him the Stowers / Kjerstad treatment, I'm with you, send him back down until 9/1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He COULD DH, Tony. I realize Eloy is hitting, but Coby wont get better sitting on the bench. They should let him hit.Im the first to acknowledge he's had a tough time defensively..but I believe he will, like Gunnar, Adley and Jackson WILL eventually produce and become a vital asset to this team.

On 8/8/2024 at 1:59 PM, interloper said:

If he hits, can he be a full time DH?

Can he play LF?

Edited by oriolediehard

Saw a mlb network segment where Buck and Harold Reynolds broke down the Mayo throwing error the other night.   They mentioned the correct way to play the ball was to spin around and use your momentum to make a more powerful and accurate throw.   Buck said Machado used to do what Mayo did, which is not spin and instead jerk his body while making the throw.  He was confident Mayo would   "get it" just like Manny did.    I don"t understand why this stuff is not taught and drilled in "A" ball.   

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

If he isn't good enough defensively to start at 3B ahead of Urias, then I think he needs to play 1B at Norfolk.  That's his long term position in this organization anyway, as long as we have Westburg.  

Or not.

It isn't a lock that someone can just be a ML firstbaseman.  This isn't learning how to play bass in a punk band.