Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Mayo 1B or RF I think depends on how long they keep Basallo at C, or maybe from another angle if the odds of Basallo fighting C to a draw are better than the odds of Mayo fighting 3B to a draw.

If they like Kjerstad for RF, I wouldn't goof around pushing Mayo off the dirt.     

RF Kjerstad, 1B Mayo, DH/C Basallo is I think how it ends up once the basic Ryan Asset Maximization process completes.

I do hope for the winter Mayo gets a lot of clarity from the club how they want him to prepare assuming Westburg is forecast as a 150-game 3B, and why wouldn't he be if Gunnar and Holliday hold up?

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I've long been a supporter of moving Mayo to RF.  I think he does have the athleticism to play there and certainly has the arm.  Likewise, I believe that Basallo could be the long term solution at 1B if Rutschman continues to be the primary catcher.  I was disappointed that Mayo got so many reps at 1B, where he played poorly, vs. RF.

Can Mayo be sent to the Arizona Fall League, or is he excluded because he played in the majors?  Would be good if he spent some time in the offseason playing in the OF.  He looks like he's going to be more of a 1B/RF than a 1B/3B, but he's really never played any OF.  I can't see the point of having him spend any more time in the minors.  His bat is pretty much ready despite his struggles and it makes no point for him to spend months in the minors refining his glove in RF or 3B (which I don't think will work). 

12 minutes ago, deward said:

I don't think ROH is particularly good at either position, but they clearly don't think his glove is a big enough detriment to keep him from playing the field in both roles. Mayo has the potential to be a better hitter than ROH, so I would assume the same logic would apply. He doesn't have to be good with a glove, just good enough. I think they should have put him out in RF all year in Norfolk and seen what happened. He can't learn without reps. Worst case, you'd have plenty of data to support the conclusion that RF isn't the answer. At least it would have been proactive.

If Mayo can play Santander level RF, I absolutely agree the bat would be worth it. If the defense is Trumbo level it would be close to unacceptable. Trumbo had a career year with 47 HR and still managed only 2 WAR due to his horrible defense. I am fine with the organization trying wherever they think he is most likely to be successful, whether that is RF or 1B. Hopefully we are not looking at a Pedro Alvarez type of trajectory. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

With Grayson's health now being an iffy proposition and Kremer's performance being as bad as it has been this year, for Elias to "chill on SP this winter" would be to the team's detriment IMO.

Subtracting the quality and innings of a Burnes and replacing him with nothing would be extremely damaging to a bullpen who is already not that great to begin with.

IMO waiting until July to solve a problem that already exists is a recipe for disaster. We can't really afford anymore "delaying" actions now. The calvary is already here and the clock is ticking on this Adley/Gunnar/Westburg/Cowser/Holliday/Mayo window.

It is very unlikely that we will ever be in a position again to house this type of position player talent within the org all at one time. The draft rules are now set up to prevent the extreme tanking tactics that we deployed to allow all of this.

I believe that a team that has a WS championship as its goal should have an ace - one that stays healthy.  Maybe it is too early to say this - but Burnes has done just that. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mayo 1B or RF I think depends on how long they keep Basallo at C, or maybe from another angle if the odds of Basallo fighting C to a draw are better than the odds of Mayo fighting 3B to a draw.

If they like Kjerstad for RF, I wouldn't goof around pushing Mayo off the dirt.     

RF Kjerstad, 1B Mayo, DH/C Basallo is I think how it ends up once the basic Ryan Asset Maximization process completes.

I do hope for the winter Mayo gets a lot of clarity from the club how they want him to prepare assuming Westburg is forecast as a 150-game 3B, and why wouldn't he be if Gunnar and Holliday hold up?

Agree with all of this.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Amed Rosario falls to us in waivers then I think we 100% grab him. .300 hitter this year in almost 300 PA. He has 10 starts and 14 games played at 3B this year. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rosaram01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2024-08-12_br

Would love Rosario. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Managerial malpractice that Mayo got no at-bats in a 9-3 game. 

100%

I was thinking the same once it felt out of reach why is Mayo not in the game.

again if he’s not going to play send him down. He’s not getting better sitting on the bench

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Managerial malpractice that Mayo got no at-bats in a 9-3 game. 

Really have to agree. There were 3 separate opportunities where it was overwhelmingly obvious to put Mayo in. 

He should have hit for Urias in the 7th against a LHP in a 7-2 game. He should have hit for O’Hearn in the 8th (instead of Jimenez) against a LHP in an 8-2 game. And he should have hit for Urias in the 9th in a 9-2 game.

It should be an easy rule of thumb right now that if the game is far enough gone that you can put in Soto to get work — it’s far enough gone that inserting Mayo should be automatic.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, casadeozo said:

100%

I was thinking the same once it felt out of reach why is Mayo not in the game.

again if he’s not going to play send him down. He’s not getting better sitting on the bench

Maybe Mayo did a bunch of work pregame and/or they wanted to just give him a true mental breather reset?

We can all hope Mayo starts hitting, but what does he look like on the mound. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Great to see Coby get off the schneid tonight.  He also drew a tenacious walk (battling back from 1-2) that was important to the 7th inning rally, and made a nice play at 3B on a slow roller.  

Was more impressed with the walk than the hit. 

6 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Great to see Coby get off the schneid tonight.  He also drew a tenacious walk (battling back from 1-2) that was important to the 7th inning rally, and made a nice play at 3B on a slow roller.  

It was really nice to see. Sometimes not everything is quantifiable in sports. Being at home, and having a complete day off, let him breathe a little. 

He will be ok. The gorilla is off his back.