Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

He is the 2nd worst qualified hitter in the league and his defensive value is extremely average (negative on Fangraphs and slightly above average according to OAA). He should not be starting more than once or twice a week right now. This isn’t a  slump, he’s been genuinely terrible offensively the last calendar year.

He has not been the same since the hamstring injury.   I am not sure what to do with him a trip to dl or even sent down would be best and give Johnson a shot who is hitting in Norfolk could give us a spark short term possibly.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think Mullins has options, so the team could demote him to AAA for awhile where he could work on his swing.  I doubt the team would consider it before the break, but the options are there.

There is a question whether he would have to give them permission to send him down based on his service time.  They are going to give Cedric more chances to come out of this funk until the All Star break as long as they keep winning.

22 minutes ago, accinfo said:

There is a question whether he would have to give them permission to send him down based on his service time.  They are going to give Cedric more chances to come out of this funk until the All Star break as long as they keep winning.

So what is the cutoff for requiring player consent to be optioned?  Fangraphs says he has a service time of 4.078 and 2 options.  

I agree it's unlikely they would consider trying to option him before the break.  They want to give him more chances to start hitting.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

So what is the cutoff for requiring player consent to be optioned?  Fangraphs says he has a service time of 4.078 and 2 options.  

I agree it's unlikely they would consider trying to option him before the break.  They want to give him more chances to start hitting.

I am not sure.  If you don’t need his permission I would do it for his own good.  Go down Cedric and clear your head and play everyday and get on a roll.  As long as they win 2 out of every three games I don’t think they are in a rush to do anything.  Kjersted hit another homer today so he keeps applying pressure to come up.  I suspect if he was a better defender he would be up.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across a nice interview of Cedric on Mookie Betts' podcast. Cedric talks about his journey as a late round draft pick, his surgery, the WBC, and much more. Of course Mookie is an excellent host because he is naturally good at everything. 

It's on Youtube (presumably with ads) but I watched it on HBO. 

• Upvote 1

Mullins had that one career year, but other than that he’s been a .720ish OPS player. Which combined with his GG level defense and baserunning is extremely valuable. Toss his career year out and his slump to begin this year, and factor in age. 

This is who Mullins is. A .700 OPS CF with GG defense. We’ll see how valuable Elias thinks that is this offseason. 

IMG_5625.jpeg

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins had that one career year, but other than that he’s been a .720ish OPS player. Which combined with his GG level defense and baserunning is extremely valuable. Toss his career year out and his slump to begin this year, and factor in age. 

This is who Mullins is. A .700 OPS CF with GG defense. We’ll see how valuable Elias thinks that is this offseason. 

IMG_5625.jpeg

.271/.758 in June after .136/.344 in May. Great to see him hitting again. I agree about the defense but he really can't afford too many months like May. He is up to 0.7 WAR which is impressive for as bad as he has been with the bat.