Dean Kremer 2024

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Last night was extremely frustrating.  You can see how mediocre he can be, you can see how good he can be and you can see how outright bad he can be all in one 5 inning stretch.

A lot of walks (26th percentile), below average amount of K’s (47th percentile), and terrible quality of contact (bottom 10% in xwOBACON) is not the combination you want as a pitcher. 

I was told in the offseason that we couldn’t lose Kremer. He was too good and too valuable. 

He is what he is. He has been a #3 in many statistical categories the last few years but the peripherals don’t love hiM and show those numbers to be something he is unlikely to sustain. 

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was told in the offseason that we couldn’t lose Kremer. He was too good and too valuable. 

He is what he is. He has been a #3 in many statistical categories the last few years but the peripherals don’t love hiM and show those numbers to be something he is unlikely to sustain. 

How many false narratives can one person create in which it appears they are correct and a large portion of people are wrong?    LOL

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

It must be said. 

He's been a massive disappointment this year.

Has he?  Or has he been what we should have expected?

His career FIp is 4.61. Last year it was 4.51. The year before it was 3.8, which was about .6 higher than his ERA. His xERA has never been below 4.46.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It must be said. 

He's been a massive disappointment this year.

Yeah I was  very comfortable with him as a very solid number 5 pitcher coming into this season after the year he had last year. Now seeing the complete dud he's put up this year if they lose Burns it's scary what this rotation will look like next year .

Sad thing is Kremer is another one of Elias Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde guys. Where he’s normally good for a good start, bad start and somewhere in between. We’ve seen the bad and in between for a few starts in a row. I do not like his pitch mix as well. Seems like a guy with 5 pitches and on most nights can locate 1-2. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'd say with all the walks Kremer is also pitching with an injury.

He'll be the next for an IL stint, Sore elbow, shoulder fatigue, something is not right and is messing up his command

I also believe he is injured. He shook his right arm a few times between pitches. His diminished command is the indicator.

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Just not good enough.  I'm assuming he is arbitration eligible this off season.  He should be non-tendered.  We need to move on and sign someone better.  

He has been a disappointment this year but I would be shocked if he is non-tendered.  You don't just give away a viable, cheap rotation piece for nothing. 

I have found Kremer incredibly frustrating this year.  He can look really good and terrible in the same outing.  I think his two-seamer he’s added this year is a very good pitch and far better than the sweeper he toyed with last year.  But his command seems to come and go and he alwsys seems to let one inning get out of hand.  I’m still hoping he turns things around and gets on a run, but time is running short.  

There is a great article by Brad Lefton in the Athletic today talking about how Hiroki Kuroda re-invented hmiself as a 33 yo rookie with the Dodgers back in 2008. Specifically talking about using the 2SFB with the help of Greg Maddux who was a teammate at that time. There is some really inciteful stuff about the mental game and how to pitch to LH hitters with the 2SFB.

“I talked with him through his interpreter about it,” Maddux said. “I saw (Orel) Hershiser do it, so I started doing it. I came up as a power pitcher, but when I was playing with Kuroda in LA, I was throwing 82 miles an hour. He saw that and realized you don’t have to throw it 90-plus to still be effective. It’s a two-seam fastball.”

"Maddux recalls the gist of his advice to Kuroda as being what to do with the pitch against lefties once he got comfortable throwing the two-seamer. In particular, Maddux emphasized the proper alignment necessary to achieve the sink and movement effectively when throwing glove side.

But what about the fear that had been instilled in Kuroda from his youngest days of hitting the batter or leaving the pitch in a spot where it could be whacked?

“There’s no difference in having the courage to throw a curveball,” Maddux said. ”You might hang that and they might hit that as well. You’ve got to trust your stuff and trust your location and execute pitches. I know today’s game is all about throwing it hard and making it break so you don’t have to locate it, but even so, the pitchers who execute the best are the ones who win.”

Such simple encouragement from the master reverberated in Kuroda’s head as he toiled to perfect the technique.

“‘You, too, can go front door to lefties,’” Kuroda recalled Maddux saying. “’You have the ability to do it, you just can’t be afraid.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5682595/2024/08/06/greg-maddux-hiroki-kuroda-japanese-baseball/

While I don't see Kremer as nearly as talented as Maddux, I do think he has a similar skill set when compared to Kuroda. The emphasis on velocity in the modern era of MLB has robbed many pitchers of their ability to effectively locate pitches. Especially non-4SFB pitches. If Kremer learns to trust his 2SFB more and throws it more frequently he can have more success IMHO. 

• Upvote 1