Colton Cowser 2024

On 7/20/2024 at 12:56 PM, Alasdaire said:

Gil has never pitched more than 108 innings in a season. He's at 102 right now. The Yankees have claimed there's not an innings limit, but if he begins to lose effectiveness at any point, I would be surprised if they didn't reduce his workload significantly even if not shut him down entirely. I doubt he's going to be a workhorse down the stretch.

The AL ROY really is Cowser's to win. Langford is all hype. And Miller is a relief pitcher who presently plays for one of the most listless teams ever. The Red Sox have a bunch of promising rookies, but none really stand out.

https://www.covers.com/mlb/rookie-of-the-year-odds

Langford is currently the betting favorite, FWIW.  I hope Cowser has a great finish to the season, and can win it, but Langford is not "all hype".  Mason Miller would be my pick at this time.  He's been outstanding.

1 hour ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah there’s zero reason for him not to be playing virtually every day at this point. He’s easily their second best OF’er by both fWAR and bWAR. 

And of course, in the ninth last night, they pinch hit Hays for him. The only guy with RBI's the whole night, but they pinch hit for him. Then they pinch hit for Mullins and yet let Urias hit away.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And of course, in the ninth last night, they pinch hit Hays for him. The only guy with RBI's the whole night, but they pinch hit for him. Then they pinch hit for Mullins and yet let Urias hit away.  

I didn't see that...I'd fallen asleep at that point.  But I'm assuming it was a lefty on the mound.

Even then, I don't care.  I understand the fact that Hays can hit lefties is probably the sole reason he remains on this team but if it's in the 9th and I need a baserunner, I want the guy who's got the best approach at the plate.  And while Cowser strikes out a lot, he's most likely going to lay off something out of the zone.  Hays is up there with his mind made up to swing at anything that's coming towards home plate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I didn't see that...I'd fallen asleep at that point.  But I'm assuming it was a lefty on the mound.

Even then, I don't care.  I understand the fact that Hays can hit lefties is probably the sole reason he remains on this team but if it's in the 9th and I need a baserunner, I want the guy who's got the best approach at the plate.  And while Cowser strikes out a lot, he's most likely going to lay off something out of the zone.  Hays is up there with his mind made up to swing at anything that's coming towards home plate.

Tanner Scott was on the mound, it was the right move.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Tanner Scott was on the mound, it was the right move.

I guess so.  I dunno, similar to Gunnar, you gotta let a guy like Cowser play against lefties.  It's the only way they're going to get better.  Cowser learning how to hit lefties is more important to the future of this club than Hays trying to run into a fastball in the 9th.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Tanner Scott was pitching the ninth so it really didn't matter, but Scott absolutely dominates lefties to a .077/.234/.128/.362 slash line. Pinch hitting Hays at that point was a no brainer.

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

https://www.covers.com/mlb/rookie-of-the-year-odds

Langford is currently the betting favorite, FWIW.  I hope Cowser has a great finish to the season, and can win it, but Langford is not "all hype".  Mason Miller would be my pick at this time.  He's been outstanding.

The fact that Langford is the betting favorite given his actual production is exactly why I said Langford is all hype. Langford isn't even on that top-40 rookies by fWAR graphic I posted.

If Langford hadn't been a top-five pick last year and an immediate top-five prospect in baseball on a team that just won the World Series, I don't think he would be the betting favorite.

6 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The fact that Langford is the betting favorite given his actual production is exactly why I said Langford is all hype. Langford isn't even on that top-40 rookies by fWAR graphic I posted.

If Langford hadn't been a top-five pick last year and an immediate top-five prospect in baseball on a team that just won the World Series, I don't think he would be the betting favorite.

FWIW indicates it’s subjective. I agree he shouldn’t be first.  I’d have to take a more detailed look at his stats to see where I’d put him, but Miller is head and shoulders above the competition IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

FWIW indicates it’s subjective. I agree he shouldn’t be first.  I’d have to take a more detailed look at his stats to see where I’d put him, but Miller is head and shoulders above the competition IMHO.

The last time a relief pitcher won the award was 15 years ago. Before Gunnar last year, an outfielder (like Colton) won the award three years in a row. Plus Miller playing on the A's (for now) while Cowser players for the O's almost certainly tilts things in Colton's favor. It would be an uphill battle for Miller even if he did have a higher fWAR than Cowser, which he doesn't.

Most of the good rookies are in the NL this year. It's right there for Cowser to win.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The last time a relief pitcher won the award was 15 years ago. Before Gunnar last year, an outfielder (like Colton) won the award three years in a row. Plus Miller playing on the A's (for now) while Cowser players for the O's almost certainly tilts things in Colton's favor. It would be an uphill battle for Miller even if he did have a higher fWAR than Cowser, which he doesn't.

Most of the good rookies are in the NL this year. It's right there for Cowser to win.

That would be great.

.400/.500/.800 on the road trip.  I was particularly happy to see him coming through with multiple runners on base the last two games.  That’s been missing for a good while.  Hopefully this augurs a good second half for Cowser.   

• Upvote 3