Colton Cowser 2024

59 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

And if he continues to be a top 10 fielder in the outfield, then he has some pretty signicant value.  I gotta admit it's wild to see how good he is in the outfield after last year.  I know it was in a handful of games, but he looked pretty bad out there.  Arm aside, he looks phenomenal roaming the outfield.  

His arm accuracy will get better. 

I think we also have to remember that he had that issue recently where he was shaking his hand.  The speculation was a little bit of tendinitis. He’s probably playing through that and who knows how long he has had it. That will effect his throwing.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His arm accuracy will get better. 

I think we also have to remember that he had that issue recently where he was shaking his hand.  The speculation was a little bit of tendinitis. He’s probably playing through that and who knows how long he has had it. That will effect his throwing.

You can tell other teams respect his arm, too. Boson in particular didn't test him at the plate at all. 

On 8/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, Tony-OH said:

I find it interesting that Cowser's batting run value is -2, dragged down by his -6 RV against changeups. with 40.9% whiff rate against changeups and a 40.2 % against breaking balls, he's really going to have to work hard on picking up spin. His defense has been a huge part of his value according to statcats.

image.png.718f591ec9c11b21b438c6be0c46107b.png 

Batting run value is context dependent, and Cowser spent a lot of the year doing very poorly with RISP and in clutch situations.

A more predictive stat would be xwOBA against each pitch type, which he’s at .411 vs fastballs, .309 vs breaking balls and .213 vs offspeed. Fastballs generally allow a higher xwOBA but his splits are definitely dramatic in that regard.

I don’t know how to see what the xwOBA by pitch type is over a more recent sample, unfortunately. From watching him it seems he’s been much better against offspeed since the ASB when he switched to the heavier bat to slow down his swing. I recall on the broadcast they said he had like 2 hits off changeups all year before he strung together a few more recently, including a homer.

Offspeed is definitely still the way to attack Cowser and he’s going to continue seeing a lot of them, but even just being ok against it is a huge improvement and allows his ability to destroy fastballs to carry him. 

1 hour ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Cowser beating out that 2 out grounder to first base completely changed this game. That hustle allowed holidays 3 run double and changed it from down 2-0 going into the 7th to being up 3-2. Huge hustle play and love to see it. 

His defense and baserunning make him a complete player. When he isn’t hitting he can still help the team. Nice asset to have. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

His defense and baserunning make him a complete player. When he isn’t hitting he can still help the team. Nice asset to have. 

I'm not trying to be greedy,  but I'm expecting an even better version for 2025. He's definitely grown as a player so much from last year. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to be greedy,  but I'm expecting an even better version for 2025. He's definitely grown as a player so much from last year. 

Especially if he learns to hit a breaking ball.   That is his only real weakness the whiff percentage on those pitches.  

21 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

If all he continues to improve against change ups or just doesn’t go completely ice cold for over a month he should be better. 

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

I'm anxious to see him further develop as a complete ball player. I think he has the ability to be something special for some time. You don't see a play like today often. Give Cow the game ball. 

I think the headfirst slide was literally and symbolically the key to that rally...it seemed to light a fire under our guys. 

• Upvote 1

Really hoping Cowser's hustle slide becomes 2024's "don't throw it away, don't throw it at all!" play. Granted, two very different players but both young, and both plays came late in the season when a win was needed.

4 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Cowser beating out that 2 out grounder to first base completely changed this game. That hustle allowed holidays 3 run double and changed it from down 2-0 going into the 7th to being up 3-2. Huge hustle play and love to see it. 

That hustle carried over on the next pitch as he also was almost at second base when Jackson's shot to R-CF landed in the gap. He was scoring no matter what. 

• Upvote 1