2024 Guardians

Just Regular

Brutal Shane Bieber news, not exactly out of the blue - he missed a couple months last year.

He'd nursed his way back in 2023, went to Driveline this winter, and velo was up, performance brilliant.    

Big picture now, it feels a little bit like our Bradish is somewhere in this ballpark, hopefully on the sunny side an Arm can get past (or the shady side if it is a scorcher).

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

went to Driveline this winter, and velo was up

That's the reason.  Same with the dozens of other pitchers that are set for TJ already this year.

2 minutes ago, yark14 said:

They are certainly part of the overall problem: instead of resting and recovering in the offseason, pitchers are doing the opposite and chasing max velo.

But is that on them or on the players?

I say it's on the players.

If Driveline wasn't a thing these guys wouldn't be taking time off from working.

It's on everyone: the players, the organization's expectations, hitters having advanced technology, and businesses like Driveline catering to the demand.

I know you're looking for an argument, but the fault isn't on just one thing.

Just now, yark14 said:

It's on everyone: the players, the organization's expectations, hitters having advanced technology, and businesses like Driveline catering to the demand.

I know you're looking for an argument, but the fault isn't on just one thing.

I'm not looking for one.

I just don't see the blame being in Driveline.

Unless of course it comes out that they are aware that their methods lead to increased injury risk and don't properly inform players of that risk.

• 1 month later...

I think of "have only dominant RH RP" in your bullpen as more of an Astros thing, but the Guardians' early success has leaned on that resource.    We'll see if everyone being Brad Brach can keep up as June approaches.

From BP today:

The bullpen’s collective 2.38 ERA paces the league by 0.31 runs per nine, and would presently rank ninth among all bullpens in the post-expansion era (though scoring is down, no other 2024 bullpens rank in the top 30). It’s a great start, but it’s not the real distinguishing factor here. No, that’s the workloads. Through Tuesday, six Guardians relievers have logged at least 19 innings in relief. Among pitchers who have worked exclusively in relief, just 55 arms have received so much work. Many of the most-used relievers work long relief, however, with 10 of those 55 averaging at least five outs per appearance and another 12 averaging more than four. Of relievers with at least 19 innings Cleveland possesses half of the cohort averaging under an inning per jog to the mound. The Guardians are turning to the same relievers as often and consistently as they can in the modern game, they’re just not letting them overstay their welcome. The only bulwark of the pitching hexagon to have even crossed 30 pitches this season is Smith, in his MLB debut.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2024 at 10:20 AM, yark14 said:

They are certainly part of the overall problem: instead of resting and recovering in the offseason, pitchers are doing the opposite and chasing max velo.

Bieber doesn’t think so.  In his interview he was asked if he blamed Driveline.  He was caught off-guard for a second and then replied he hadn’t had that thought until he was asked.  He went on to say that he had learned more about recovery and how to take care of his body during his time at driveline than he ever had in his life.  

IMG_3401.png

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Bieber doesn’t think so.  In his interview he was asked if he blamed Driveline.  He was caught off-guard for a second and then replied he hadn’t had that thought until he was asked.  He went on to say that he had learned more about recovery and how to take care of his body during his time at driveline than he ever had in his life.  

IMG_3401.png

That's cute.

My local bartender gives really good investment advice.