Brandon Hyde 2024

Always been a big Hyde supporter, but just can't ignore his ineptitude any longer. Hate to say it because I like him so much. But he has shown he is just in way over his head. It's one thing when the decisions look bad in hindsight; his look bad before they go wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He was a transitional manager.  Which is all he was supposed to be according to management.

Source for this?   Don't think transitional only was ever publicly stated.   

25 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Absolutely idiotic managing by Hyde tonight. He pinch hits Mullins for Norby, having Mullins face a guy with one of the best FB’s in the league, even though he is one of the worst hitters in the league against FB’s.

Then pitches Kimbrel back to back after throwing 30 pitches yesterday, while he has Cano who has thrown 6 pitches in the last 5 days and 1 inning since the ASB. I’m not a Hyde basher but those were completely moronic decisions.

Kimbrel had no control last night and had to be bailed out by Cano after throwing those 30 pitches (a sign he might need some extra rest), so what does Hyde do but go to him with the game on the line the next night.  I was trying to post "Is Hyde brain dead?" as soon as I saw Kimbrel coming into the game.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hyde was not happy with Kimbrel if you read between the lines. Said he got ahead of Profar with a base open. 

I usually give a lot of latitude to the manager.   But I'll join the pitchfork and torches gang on this.   We have several late inning relievers.   Kimbrel is probably the best but he's not THAT far ahead of Cano.   Cano has barely pitched yesterday, Kimbrel had a high-stress high-pitch-count inning that he couldn't even complete yesterday.   Why bring in Kimbrel there instead of Cano?   Of our best 3 relievers, Cano was by far the most rested.   I know "The Book" says use your closer once a home game is tied in the late innings since there will never be a save situation.

But do you have to slavishly follow the book when you have another pitcher who is pretty good and is far more rested?    

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Absolutely idiotic managing by Hyde tonight. He pinch hits Mullins for Norby, having Mullins face a guy with one of the best FB’s in the league, even though he is one of the worst hitters in the league against FB’s.

Then pitches Kimbrel back to back after throwing 30 pitches yesterday, while he has Cano who has thrown 6 pitches in the last 5 days and 1 inning since the ASB. I’m not a Hyde basher but those were completely moronic decisions.

Have to agree.  Forget the lefty vs righty matchup.   Ced looked feeble against the Suarez fastball.  Strike 3 was sad.  The ball was in the catchers mitt before he waved at it.  Norby might K there too but I think he at least has a chance.   Kimbrel?    If he’s not physically shot, he might be mentally shot.    

• Upvote 1

In Hyde's defense, Kimbrel didn't look terrible. Profar did his best Santander impression and hit a pitch that probably would have been a ball.

If there's a lesson for Hyde, it's not writing "Kjerstad - LF" when the O's are at home.

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I usually give a lot of latitude to the manager.   But I'll join the pitchfork and torches gang on this.   We have several late inning relievers.   Kimbrel is probably the best but he's not THAT far ahead of Cano.   Cano has barely pitched yesterday, Kimbrel had a high-stress high-pitch-count inning that he couldn't even complete yesterday.   Why bring in Kimbrel there instead of Cano?   Of our best 3 relievers, Cano was by far the most rested.   I know "The Book" says use your closer once a home game is tied in the late innings since there will never be a save situation.

But do you have to slavishly follow the book when you have another pitcher who is pretty good and is far more rested?    

This is my critique of him a couple of days ago.  He is way too 'by the book'.   Not enough intuition.    And that is because he has none.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

52 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Look on the bright side...there's no way Kimbrel can pitch tomorrow!  

26 minutes ago, murph said:

Source for this?   Don't think transitional only was ever publicly stated.   

It was very well stated by the team, the media, and the posters on here and other fan sites. 

He was just supposed to get the Os through the times when they sawked.  Not lead them to a championship. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 1

At this point it feels like heartbreak city coming if we make the playoffs which somehow we still should. I’m sure many remember 1997 and the ALCS. Why do I feel like Kimbrel will be our Armando and blow it…those box scores still make me sick to look at.

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hyde was not happy with Kimbrel if you read between the lines. Said he got ahead of Profar with a base open. 

He looks defeated...

Stir things up, guys. Call up Mayo. Bench everyone for a game. Hit Adley 9th and Henderson 7th. You gotta change things if things are going to change. 

19 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

It was very well stated by the team, the media, and the posters on here and other fan sites. 

He was just supposed to get the Os through the times when they sawked.  Not lead them to a championship. 

So no source then, got it.     Fairly certain his expected tenure was never fully revealed one way or another.   

• Upvote 1

If the Os miss the playoffs I think the fire Hyde stuff might have some credence.  I’ve always been impressed and will give him the benefit of the doubt.  It’s been a rough stretch for sure, but the pitchforks are a little premature.  

• Upvote 1

Hyde is objectively bad. He makes bad decisions. I never watch the postgame because no one presses him. Anyone who asks pointed questions would likely be thrown out, so they soft-toss him. But why bring in Kimbrel after 28 pitches in a bad inning last night?  
I don’t know what explanation he gave, but there really isn’t one. It was just stupid.