Brandon Hyde 2024

A lot of this goes back to last night we couldn’t put them away and let them back in it.  We had chance to go up 6-0 with a 4-0 lead and second and third no outs and didn’t push across a run then Burnes gave up 3 in bottom half.  If you take a 6-0 lead there it takes out their running game and if you up like 6-1 or 7-2 in the seventh we could have rested our two big relievers and got Kimbrel in with less pressure.  Cano and Dominguez would then have been available and the entire game plan changes.  

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

A lot of this goes back to last night we couldn’t put them away and let them back in it.  We had chance to go up 6-0 with a 4-0 lead and second and third no outs and didn’t push across a run then Burnes gave up 3 in bottom half.  If you take a 6-0 lead there it takes out their running game and if you up like 6-1 or 7-2 in the seventh we could have rested our two big relievers and got Kimbrel in with less pressure.  Cano and Dominguez would then have been available and the entire game plan changes.  

The issue I have with this logic is, why did we have to use them then on Friday?  We were up 4-0 with a finely pitched game from Eflin.  A 4 run game into the 8th, do we need to burn Cano and Dominguez?  You can't expect to be blowing out your opponent every game.  It isn't realistic to expect the offense to score 6 runs a game.  Currently we are at 5.1 runs/game and the best offense in the game is only around 5.2 runs/game.  If he had only used say even one of them, then we would have had someone for today.

Hyde is matchup obsessed and feels the need to use higher leverage relievers seemingly every game.  Why did Webb need to pitch every game last year?   His efficacy seemed to drop when he was being used so much. We've seen the same pattern this year, and now he is hurt.  Now it is Perez that is being used seemingly every day, and it seems his effectiveness is dropping.  We do have guys that can go more than one inning.  We don't need to burn all our relievers for matchup purposes if we are not in a 1-2 run game.   Even if a guys is only throwing 10 pitches in the game all the warmup and things add up in appearances. 

• Upvote 2

I think you’re basically right about this, and having to account for this is part of the reason baseball is so great to me. Basketball and Soccer have this wrinkle to an extent, but I just love the long term, day-in/day-out component of baseball. I’m sure Hyde thinks this way, but I remember Buck specifically talking about managing with that in mind and was always impressed by that.

8 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

The issue I have with this logic is, why did we have to use them then on Friday?  We were up 4-0 with a finely pitched game from Eflin.  A 4 run game into the 8th, do we need to burn Cano and Dominguez?  You can't expect to be blowing out your opponent every game.  It isn't realistic to expect the offense to score 6 runs a game.  Currently we are at 5.1 runs/game and the best offense in the game is only around 5.2 runs/game.  If he had only used say even one of them, then we would have had someone for today.

Hyde is matchup obsessed and feels the need to use higher leverage relievers seemingly every game.  Why did Webb need to pitch every game last year?   His efficacy seemed to drop when he was being used so much. We've seen the same pattern this year, and now he is hurt.  Now it is Perez that is being used seemingly every day, and it seems his effectiveness is dropping.  We do have guys that can go more than one inning.  We don't need to burn all our relievers for matchup purposes if we are not in a 1-2 run game.   Even if a guys is only throwing 10 pitches in the game all the warmup and things add up in appearances. 

He manages any close game like it’s game 7 of the playoffs or some must win game. I hate hate hate losing any game, but some of the decisions pulling guys recently just make no sense. And with the new rules about 3 batters it backfires quickly when they don’t get that first guy out and it’s off to the races with PH’s. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

He manages any close game like it’s game 7 of the playoffs or some must win game. I hate hate hate losing any game, but some of the decisions pulling guys recently just make no sense. And with the new rules about 3 batters it backfires quickly when they don’t get that first guy out and it’s off to the races with PH’s. 

Yes, Hyde manages a game with a 4 run lead and bases empty  like it's the 9th inning, no outs, tie run on 3rd, winning run on 2nd.  Then the O's have a close game the next day where they have a 1 run lead in the 7th and have to go to Perez or Soto with poor results. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mendoza Line said:

On Friday he could have used another reliever but he didn’t have a ton of options.  Baker and Akin each went 1.1 innings the night before.  So they probably were out unless emergency.  Smith and Perez would be pitching 3rd time in 4 days so not something you like doing.  Do you trust Soto or Kimbrel pitching in a close game with the lead even if it is 4 runs? I know if they came in and 2 guys got on the board will be hammering him for not going with Cano or Dominguez who were rested.  So that left him Cano, And Dominguez to hold the lead.   He is trying to make do with a 6 man pen basically while they try to get Soto and Kimbrel corrected so he has one hand tied behind his back.  

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Who would you have thrown the 8th and 9th on Friday?  

Who would you have thrown the 8th and 9th on Friday?  

That 8th inning would have been a perfect time for Kimbrel. What's the worst that could have happened? He walk the bases loaded and give up a grand slam? He hasn't allowed 4 runs in an outing all year.  Or would he walk the bases loaded, give up a sac fly like today's game and the game would be 4-1 going into the 9th where you can use Cano or Dominguez, but still have one available for the next two nights?

This option is much more appealing than pitching Kimbrel in a tie game in the 8th.

Your acting as if this bullpen management is forced upon him due to injuries and is a new phenomena, but this has been the same pattern for the past two years.

My point is the bullpen management is suspect at times. Some of our guys can pitch more than an inning. We don't need to burn all our high end relievers with a late inning 3+ lead. And we don't need guys inserted just for match up purposes with 2 outs when there is low leverage situation just to be pulled before seeing any batter the next inning.  Number of appearances, not just in game pitches, matter for bullpen wear too.

What did you think of Hyde’s performance tonight (8/16)?

Leaves Burnes in after getting battered for 3 innings and the team battles back to tie it up.  

Lets Burnes stay in during the 4th despite allowing multiple baseunners before giving up 4 more runs.

With the game still close, he brings in the worst pitcher on the roster (Kimbrel) to serve up two home runs to seal the loss 

I don’t know what it is about him.   He seems to make incomprehensible decisions too often 

7 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Leaves Burnes in after getting battered for 3 innings and the team battles back to tie it up.  

Lets Burnes stay in during the 4th despite allowing multiple baseunners before giving up 4 more runs.

With the game still close, he brings in the worst pitcher on the roster (Kimbrel) to serve up two home runs to seal the loss 

I don’t know what it is about him.   He seems to make incomprehensible decisions too often 

This was a game I can't blame on Hyde.  Is he never supposed to use Kimbrel again?  Well, maybe after tonight he shouldn't, but if so then he should just be cut.  If Corbin Burnes can't pitch out of a jam then who can?  From day 1 of the season the bullpen was too thin, not enough reliable arms.  That's on Elias, not Hyde.  

4 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

I think a lot of time, he forgets the main purpose is to win the game, not to show certain pitcher or hitter that he trusts him.  It's the big leagues, there's no time for coddling feelings.  The bullpen is fairly well rested--would be more rested if Hyde let Eflin go 7 last night.  There was no reason to not relieve Burnes in the 4th before he blew the game wide open.  I understand letting him start the inning, but when it was obvious he didn't have it, bring in someone else.  Burnes faced 7 hitters in the 4th.  It's not like things spiraled out of control before Hyde could do anything.   The offense could have scored more, but it's hard to place much blame on the offense on a night they scored 10. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think a lot of time, he forgets the main purpose is to win the game, not to show certain pitcher or hitter that he trusts him.  It's the big leagues, there's no time for coddling feelings.  The bullpen is fairly well rested--would be more rested if Hyde let Eflin go 7 last night.  There was no reason to not relieve Burnes in the 4th before he blew the game wide open.  I understand letting him start the inning, but when it was obvious he didn't have it, bring in someone else.  Burnes faced 7 hitters in the 4th.  It's not like things spiraled out of control before Hyde could do anything.   The offense could have scored more, but it's hard to place much blame on the offense on a night they scored 10. 

I get that sense too.  That 4th inning made zero sense.  The signs that he still had nothing started right away in that inning 

12 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

This was a game I can't blame on Hyde.  Is he never supposed to use Kimbrel again?  Well, maybe after tonight he shouldn't, but if so then he should just be cut.  If Corbin Burnes can't pitch out of a jam then who can?  From day 1 of the season the bullpen was too thin, not enough reliable arms.  That's on Elias, not Hyde.  

Right now Kimbrel should only pitch if we are up by 4+ or down by 4+.  Otherwise let him rot in the bullpen.  Bringing him in is like waving the white flag and shouldn't be done in close games.   Perhaps if Hyde didn't run through his bullpen like my kids do Halloween candy, we'd have more folks able to step in when it matters.   Last night Elfin should have pitched another inning and Cano had no business in the game up 4 runs.   So I disagree that none of tonight was on Hyde.  Elias needs much of the blame,  sure,  but Hyde isn't guilt free either. 

17 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Yes, the bullpen has been terrible all season.   Not much effort in the off season to shore it up. 

I am one who thinks Kimbrel should be DFA and not just because of tonight.  If they won’t do that, then let him mop up games / eat some innings after a Rogers start   

Because Burnes hasn’t pitched well in 3 starts, my faith in him to pitch out of a jam tonight was very very low especially since he was getting smacked around all night and hit hard.  

37 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

You can blame Hyde if you want. I blame poor performances of his players, including and especially Burnes. Also we missed multiple opportunities with runners at third with less than 2 out...so I blame their inability to get those runners in.Hyde isnt the problem.Players crappy performances are the problem.