Brandon Hyde 2024

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

You can blame Hyde if you want. I blame poor performances of his players, including and especially Burnes. Also we missed multiple opportunities with runners at third with less than 2 out...so I blame their inability to get those runners in.Hyde isnt the problem.Players crappy performances are the problem.

I certainly agree with the missed scoring opportunities from 3rd base.  Maddening. 

I felt that Hyde had more than ample opportunity to realize Burnes was shot and cut that crappy performance short .  Also to avoid inserting the lousiest pitcher on the roster in non blowout situation   

I was fine with Hyde's bullpen decisions tonight. Kimbrel was the most rested pitcher in the pen and if he's on the roster, you have to use him sometime.

The way Akin pitched tonight it may have been better to bring him in for Yoshida, but remember that Akin got hit around in his two most recent outings as well so that was no guarantee. I suspect if Hyde pulled Burnes in that inning you'd have folks on the other side saying, see, this is why our bullpen is always overtaxed. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

You can blame Hyde if you want. I blame poor performances of his players, including and especially Burnes. Also we missed multiple opportunities with runners at third with less than 2 out...so I blame their inability to get those runners in.Hyde isnt the problem.Players crappy performances are the problem.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But, on a night that Burnes clearly didn’t have it you leave him in long enough to give up 8 runs?

10 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I was fine with Hyde's bullpen decisions tonight. Kimbrel was the most rested pitcher in the pen and if he's on the roster, you have to use him sometime.

The way Akin pitched tonight it may have been better to bring him in for Yoshida, but remember that Akin got hit around in his two most recent outings as well so that was no guarantee. I suspect if Hyde pulled Burnes in that inning you'd have folks on the other side saying, see, this is why our bullpen is always overtaxed. 

I have no qualms over Hyde leaving Burnes in as long as he did. 

It just makes Thursday night’s decision to pull Eflin at 87 pitches and then use 4 relievers in a 5-1 win, even more of a head scratcher. 

Hyde burns through relievers better than any manager in baseball. We just don’t have the arms and depth that we’ve had in previous years and it shows.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

I have no qualms over Hyde leaving Burnes in as long as he did. 

It just makes Thursday night’s decision to pull Eflin at 87 pitches and then use 4 relievers in a 5-1 win, even more of a head scratcher. 

Hyde burns through relievers better than any manager in baseball. We just don’t have the arms and depth that we’ve had in previous years and it shows.

The Orioles are #23 in IP by relievers.

• Upvote 1

If Holliday is not covering 2nd base on that grounder he is out of the inning.  The 4th inning he walked Duran on a 3-2 pitch that was just off the plate.  He then struck out Abreu and Cassas the next two hitters.  He basically unintentionally/intentionally walked Devers because he is not the guy you want beating you.  He then gave up a bouncing chopper that found grass since Holiday was covering 2nd.  There was no hard contact that inning just a walk 2 strikeouts, an intentional walk, and a chopper before the Yoshida at bat.  I swear half the time I think people are not watching the game that are complaining.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

If Holliday is not covering 2nd base on that grounder he is out of the inning.  The 4th inning he walked Duran on a 3-2 pitch that was just off the plate.  He then struck out Abreu and Cassas the next two hitters.  He basically unintentionally/intentionally walked Devers because he is not the guy you want beating you.  He then gave up a bouncing chopper that found grass since Holiday was covering 2nd.  There was no hard contact that inning just a walk 2 strikeouts, an intentional walk, and a chopper before the Yoshida at bat.  I swear half the time I think people are not watching the game that are complaining.  

The 2 walks are what killed him. His team just tied it up and he walks the lead off hitter and then obviously walked Devers too which is probably the right move. And then the 3 run homer to a guy with well below league average power. Even the Yoshida HR wasn’t hit hard, but he just can’t walk Duran there (especially with his problems holding runners) and then getting beat by Yoshida there is not a great look. 

11 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The 2 walks are what killed him. His team just tied it up and he walks the lead off hitter 

Bingo!  Walking the #9 guy with the top of the order coming up is inexcusable for a pitcher like Burnes.  Nothing good happens after a walk.  And when we're batting, not much good comes after a runner gets to third base.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Bingo!  Walking the #9 guy with the top of the order coming up is inexcusable for a pitcher like Burnes.  Nothing good happens after a walk.  And when we're batting, not much good comes after a runner gets to third base.

Duran is the leadoff hitter and an all star.  Should he be walking the leadoff hitter no but that is on Burnes not Hyde which is what people are complaining on this thread.  If my ace walks the leadoff hitter I am not happy but then he strikes out 2 good hittters and walks Devers intentionally followed by a chopper that finds a whole I am not taking him out and needing 5+ innings from the bullpen.  90-95% of the time Burnes works his way out of it unfortunately that was the time he didn’t.  But I am riding my best pitcher before I go to Akin (who most people don’t event want on the team ) to get out of a jam.  

3 hours ago, DEOriolesfan said:

IP doesn’t tell the whole story. Appearances are a better stat. 
Hyde has a 4 reliever quota most games. That adds up over the course of a 162 games…

Is there research on that?   Offhand, I’d guess that throwing 60 innings in 80 appearances is more stressful on a pitcher than throwing 60 innings in 60 appearances, but I don’t know if there’s evidence supporting that.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is there research on that?   Offhand, I’d guess that throwing 60 innings in 80 appearances is more stressful on a pitcher than throwing 60 innings in 60 appearances, but I don’t know if there’s evidence supporting that.

I'm sure there is somewhere but I haven't had much luck finding a site that tracks that.

My point is- we miss seeing the guy warm-up in the bullpen before coming into the game. Hyde will often pull relievers early to play matchups so that was why I said innings pitched don't tell the whole story.