Holliday called up!

jcaponio

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree it's kind of bizarre. This is the kind of thing I don't like about Cal being part owner. But I guess I'm kind of glad it's unofficially-unofficially unretired now.

What does Cal Ripken being part owner have to do with anything?

Cal Sr spent 36 years with the Orioles. The team wore a #7 patch on their sleeves when he passed. Regardless of how his managing career went, he was a lot of what the Orioles represented during his lifetime. I don't have any proof, but most owners would have retired a number like that. I'm glad Jackson is wearing it, and so is the Ripken family.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've got a nephew named Seven. 

What’s your name?  “Seven”.   No, but what’s your name. “Seven”.   Ok, little boy, it’s not important.  Have fun.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If the 2B calls for it and the CF isn’t sure he can get to the ball (maybe, maybe not) what should the CF do?   

I think in that stadium in that situation that’s a mental rep the CF had to take before the play and make sure he goes all out and gives himself a shot.  I thought RF had a better chance at a play on that one.  Tough play for sure, but most difficult to make for the 2B.  

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think in that stadium in that situation that’s a mental rep the CF had to take before the play and make sure he goes all out and gives himself a shot.  I thought RF had a better chance at a play on that one.  Tough play for sure, but most difficult to make for the 2B.  

But if the infielder calls for it, and the outfielder isn't sure he can get there, the outfielder is going to pull up and not call off the infielder,  right?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

But if the infielder calls for it, and the outfielder isn't sure he can get there, the outfielder is going to pull up and not call off the infielder,  right?

Sure, but doesn't the CF supersede any IF in that situation? I'm honestly not sure, but I thought so. Mullins probably believed Holliday could get it, but I'd like him to say "hell no" in that situation and just take the lead as CF. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Sure, but doesn't the CF supersede any IF in that situation? I'm honestly not sure, but I thought so. Mullins probably believed Holliday could get it, but I'd like him to say "hell no" in that situation and just take the lead as CF. 

If Mullins can easily get to the ball he should take charge.  I don't think Mullins easily gets there.  I'm not sure he gets there at all.  My take is that Mullins was running about 80%.  Once he saw Holliday waive him off he cut it down to 50%.   When the ball dropped Mullins was a good 10-15 feet away.   

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

How long do you all think it will take for Holliday to claim the leadoff spot? Jackson, Adley, Gunnar should be a brutal first inning for opposing teams at some point. 

First, I want him to claim the #9 spot.  When he's hitting so good, moving him to #1 is a no brainer.   Hopefully,  by the end of May.

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think it was a mental mistake on the OFers part to be in that situation.  And OF always has priority regardless if the 2B calls him off.  

I think he will be down toward the bottom of the order for awhile.  Jeter batted ninth for quite a long time when he started his career to keep the pressure off. This lineup is pretty solid top to bottom. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve now watched this play numerous times, and timed it and dug into some other details.   The ball went 226 feet and had a hang time of 5.2-5.5 seconds (my efforts to time it were inconsistent but all in that range).  I don’t know Mullins’ initial position, but Statcast says his average depth is 322 feet and the various Boston CF’s are between 321-327, so I’m guessing somewhere in that range.  So, 95-101 feet to cover in 5.2-5.5 seconds, without considering that the ball was in RCF, not straightCF.   That’s at least a 3-star catch, possibly a 5 depending on exact time and distance.  So, I’m not going to fault Mullins for not calling off Holliday, who had more like 76 feet to travel, though not in an easy direction.   Bottom line, it was a tough play for anyone and I don’t consider it egregious that it fell in, even though it had an xBA of .040.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think it was a mental mistake on the OFers part to be in that situation.  And OF always has priority regardless if the 2B calls him off.  

I give up. You still didn’t answer the actual question.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve now watched this play numerous times, and timed it and dug into some other details.   The ball went 226 feet and had a hang time of 5.2-5.5 seconds (my efforts to time it were inconsistent but all in that range).  I don’t know Mullins’ initial position, but Statcast says his average depth is 322 feet and the various Boston CF’s are between 321-327, so I’m guessing somewhere in that range.  So, 95-101 feet to cover in 5.2-5.5 seconds, without considering that the ball was in RCF, not straightCF.   That’s at least a 3-star catch, possibly a 5 depending on exact time and distance.  So, I’m not going to fault Mullins for not calling off Holliday, who had more like 76 feet to travel, though not in an easy direction.   Bottom line, it was a tough play for anyone and I don’t consider it egregious that it fell in, even though it had an xBA of .040.   

Can we agree that Mullins was never in a position to “take charge” and call Holliday off, ESPECIALLY when he saw Holliday call for it like he had it under control?