Holliday called up!

jcaponio

57 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think it was a mental mistake on the OFers part to be in that situation.  And OF always has priority regardless if the 2B calls him off.  

OF has priority if they both call it. If OF never calls off the 2b, it is not a question of priority. It is possible Cedric *should* have called it but in the absence of a call by an OF the 2B should go for it if he thinks he has a chance.

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

If Palmer was in the booth he would have reminded everyone how hard it is to play in Fenway with the lower roof.  Especially on a windy day.  Jackson called for the ball pretty early but absolutely should have been called off.  Thats an incredibly hard play for a 2B even on a normal MLB field with no wind.  It’ll come with more reps and experience playing together. 

Holliday took a bad angle and then tried to swirl around and make a catch. Outfielders were playing very deep. That was 100% his ball and he just messed it up in my opinion. As you said, it's a tough place to play on pop ups at times.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's also freaking Kate Bush!

Who doesn't like Kate Bush?

That high voice. Not for me.  Barbara Bush sang better.   Jk

P.S.  How could they make “Don’t Give UP” so depressing.  That song makes me want to give up.

Edited by RZNJ

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can we agree that Mullins was never in a position to “take charge” and call Holliday off, ESPECIALLY when he saw Holliday call for it like he had it under control?

That’s why I timed it, etc.  We do agree.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That high voice. Not for me.  Barbara Bush sang better.   Jk

P.S.  How could they make “Don’t Give UP” so depressing.  That song makes me want to give up.

It's uplifting.

I'm not speaking of personal experience but I've heard of tens of people that song has helped.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's uplifting.

I'm not speaking of personal experience but I've heard of tens of people that song has helped.

That’s nice.   I can only give you my personal experience.  No bueno.

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Holliday took a bad angle and then tried to swirl around and make a catch. Outfielders were playing very deep. That was 100% his ball and he just messed it up in my opinion. As you said, it's a tough place to play on pop ups at times.

He also was a tick slow picking it up and getting it in. Maybe wouldn’t have gotten the runner, but would have been closer. 

23 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Ha, thanks man!

I thought it was an awesome post, enjoyed it a lot.  Unfortunately, I was up in the wee hours of the morning catching up on this very long thread, and used up all my rep points for the day already :D 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If Mullins can easily get to the ball he should take charge.  I don't think Mullins easily gets there.  I'm not sure he gets there at all.  My take is that Mullins was running about 80%.  Once he saw Holliday waive him off he cut it down to 50%.   When the ball dropped Mullins was a good 10-15 feet away.   

This seems obvious now - the outfielder has general priority, but if they aren't sure they can get it, and someone else is calling it already, why would you call them off? 

Just now, capyy said:

This seems obvious now - the outfielder has general priority, but if they aren't sure they can get it, and someone else is calling it already, why would you call them off? 

Bingo!

5 hours ago, baltimoriole said:

Was #7 preserved because Cal Ripken Sr. was such a legendary member of the organization? I’m 40 years old and with the exception of supplying the seed for the best player in franchise history is he that significant to the history of the club? He was a minor league coach for a long time. Hey how bout that! In 10 years will our top prospect need to kiss the ring of buck britton if they want to wear his jersey number? This is a weird story line hovering over Holliday and the team. 

I did the math, and I guess you were 8 when he was fired in 1992.  So you couldn't know first-hand what his presence in the development of Orioles players meant.  You would then have been a teenager when he passed, when tributes would've been made to remind everyone who he was to the organization, and you were maybe not paying much attention to what was becoming a losing club for years to come. 

But surely you've heard of his influence on Cal and Eddie (and Bill), and even though it wasn't called that at the time, his contribution to what became "The Oriole Way" that we always talked about, even in the lean years of the '00s and '10s.  The work done in his name by the Cal Sr. Foundation to bring the basics of baseball to kids who otherwise would fall through the cracks all around the country (including my Harrisburg Boys & Girls Club RBI teams) reflects the teachings he tried to pass on, really basic stuff that I thought we all considered fundamental to how Orioles baseball was played. 

So yeah, a lot of people were feeling sentimental about it unofficially being a "retired" number in his honor.  Matt Holliday was even aware enough of this to talk to Cal last year about it, from what I've now heard.  The reason(s) that the Orioles organization never retired the number is for someone else to speculate about, but it was still a special number for Os fans regardless. 

• Upvote 2