INF Livan Soto claimed off waivers from the Angels/Then DFA'd and lost to Reds

spleen1015

5 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I think thats what RZ is saying.  Norby should be happy because now Soto can take 2B so this should move Norby back to the outfield where he can get more reps.  Or I just read it completely wrong.  

Ah thanks, read that wrong.

As for Soto, good claim. Must be some personality things going on here with him to be DFA'd so much with options. Seems like talent wise he's decent depth.

I think his issue was being put on the 40-man in the first place. Because his bat isn't enough to keep him on a 40-man in a crunch, even with the options. Hopefully we can sneak him through waivers at some point because having him in the system and OFF your 40-man is the ideal scenario. 

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ah thanks, read that wrong.

As for Soto, good claim. Must be some personality things going on here with him to be DFA'd so much with options. Seems like talent wise he's decent depth.

If it's known personality issues the O's wouldn't claim him for the 2nd time.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If it's known personality issues the O's wouldn't claim him for the 2nd time.

Not a bad point, and on the surface, I would have to agree. Just wondering why the Angels have given up on him twice now? Unless they just promoted someone from AA or got a prospects off the IL, or just acquired someone, there doesn't seem to be anyone be journeyman minor leaguers playing 2B and SS for Salt Lake City. 

Maybe he just has a personality class with the manager/coaches or front office? eh, I've already put too much time into wondering about this guy. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking to see if Soto was back in Norfolk and saw he was claimed by the Reds. He's on his 3rd AAA team this year alone. lol

For a guy no one wants, he sure is wanted. The Orioles have really lost a lot of infield depth in AAA.

• Tony-OH changed the title to INF Livan Soto claimed off waivers from the Angels/Then DFA'd and lost to Reds
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I was looking to see if Soto was back in Norfolk and saw he was claimed by the Reds. He's on his 3rd AAA team this year alone. lol

For a guy no one wants, he sure is wanted. The Orioles have really lost a lot of infield depth in AAA.

I'm dinging Elias for DFAing him for Suarez instead of, I dunno, Ort and his 6+ ERA at Norfolk. You're right in the middle of Holliday struggling with not a lot of great middle infield options at AAA. I have no idea why he went with Soto, who is a solid young defensive infielder (and left-handed). 

Weird choice IMO. Not that it really matters much, but yeah. 

Edited by interloper

Ramon Urias and Jorge Mateo are still here for infield floor if it comes to it.

It isn't trading hitting for pitching, but prioritizing relievers Elias might like for spot duty here or there over a guy like Soto is one way Elias can balance his talent mix some.