Jud Fabian, 2024

DirtyBird

50 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If Cowser can handle CF, there’s no reason to bring back Mullins.

If Cowser’s in CF you need a good defender in LF.   Cowser is better in LF than CF.   Mullins is hopefully a one year bridge to Bradfield.    Even the current Mullins at 8-9M makes sense unless you think he’s going to be a lot worse next year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If Cowser’s in CF you need a good defender in LF.   Cowser is better in LF than CF.   Mullins is hopefully a one year bridge to Bradfield.    Even the current Mullins at 8-9M makes sense unless you think he’s going to be a lot worse next year.

Isn’t bradfield going to be ready next season?

I like Mullins, but I would really like to move on from him.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mullins is worth the 8-9 million next year. Stuff is just expensive nowadays. Gotta pay someone. We definitely need a CF. No cheaper options. 

Mateo could play more CF next year too.

EBJ ETA of May 2026. Honeycutt ETA May 2027. Fabian ETA of September 2025. 

Fabian will be a factor as a platoon partner for our LH OF. He just has to hit. The Slater role or the previous McKenna role. Or, he could be more valuable in a deal for pitching than as an up/down CF or a 5th OF vs LHP. Some team might want to try him as a CF. CF is thin in MLB. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mullins is worth the 8-9 million next year. Stuff is just expensive nowadays. Gotta pay someone. We definitely need a CF. No cheaper options. 

Mullins will be worth his salary, in the abstract.  But sometimes when you go to a nice restaurant, you have to decide between the nice bottle of wine, the filet mignon, or the fancy dessert to stay within your budget.   So do you want to spend $9 mm on a part-time CF, or we would you rather trade him for something of value and spend the money on other needs?   

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins will be worth his salary, in the abstract.  But sometimes when you go to a nice restaurant, you have to decide between the nice bottle of wine, the filet mignon, or the fancy dessert to stay within your budget.   So do you want to spend $9 mm on a part-time CF, or we would you rather trade him for something of value and spend the money on other needs?   

You can save the 9M and spend it elsewhere but you’re still going to need a CF and good luck finding one better than Mullins for 9M.   In fantasy world we can plug EBJ there on OD, hope he hits .230/.290/330 and provides outstanding defense and 50+ SB but that doesn’t seem to be Elias’ style.   More of an LA Angels move.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You can save the 9M and spend it elsewhere but you’re still going to need a CF and good luck finding one better than Mullins for 9M.   In fantasy world we can plug EBJ there on OD, hope he hits .230/.290/330 and provides outstanding defense and 50+ SB but that doesn’t seem to be Elias’ style.   More of an LA Angels move.

The main alternative is to install Cowser as the full time CF and acquire a good defensive corner OF who can spell Cowser in CF a couple of times a month.  

Anyway, I’m not saying I think we should deal Mullins.  I’m saying it’s an option to consider.  It mostly depends on what we could get for him, how we’d cover CF and what else we could do with the $9 mm.  It also depends whether you think Mullins can improve/hold steady next year, or whether you think his three-year slide will continue.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The main alternative is to install Cowser as the full time CF and acquire a good defensive corner OF who can spell Cowser in CF a couple of times a month.  

Anyway, I’m not saying I think we should deal Mullins.  I’m saying it’s an option to consider.  It mostly depends on what we could get for him, how we’d cover CF and what else we could do with the $9 mm.  It also depends whether you think Mullins can improve/hold steady next year, or whether you think his three-year slide will continue.  

Yeah, I’m just arguing against the idea of moving Cowser to CF.   Big deal.   Now you have a hole in LF so moving Cowser to CF essentially solves nothing.

Even if Cowser grows to full time CF, I think Mullins at his Arb number is probably the best starting LF available.

LF/CF Mullins like RF Kjerstad or SP5 Povich is at least fine to start the season.    It is hard to remember just about a year ago Mullins felt like the more probable QO.     Guys like Hays and Slater don't cost a ton at midseason if Fabian isn't ready for that job a year from now.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It defitely complicates things if Kjerstad is not healthy to start the season.  I would think Kjerstad's health makes it more likely they bring back Mullins.

The big issue with Kjerstad is with the concussion issue he doesn’t have much trade value.  I was thinking bring Santander back and you can use him as the big trade chip to get a starter.