Ben Macdonald - Merit to Brewers cheating?

Explosivo

When I saw Sanchez's HR live I immediately thought it was odd, like he made a *really* good guess, because that ball was up at his armpits and on the outside third.  That is not an easy pitch to pull out of the park unless you know it's coming or you're selling out on a wild ass guess.  The insinuation seemed to be that the Brewers were stealing signs or Wells was tipping pitches.

Edited by Hallas

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

When I saw Sanchez's HR live I immediately thought it was odd, like he made a *really* good guess, because that ball was up at his armpits and on the outside third.  That is not an easy pitch to pull out of the park unless you know it's coming or you're selling out on a wild ass guess.  The insinuation seemed to be that the Brewers were stealing signs or Wells was tipping pitches.

if Wells was tipping, nothing wrong with them knowing.  I don’t know how they would steal signs unless watching from the dugout to the catcher but I don’t think Hyde is calling pitches. 

Ben did not say the Brewers were cheating, or accuse them of anything. He said it looked like something was off, or something to that effect. I suppose you could take that how you want, but to me it was that Wells was tipping his pitches. Or perhaps our sequences are too predictable. IDK, but he did not accuse anyone of anything IMO. 

They are a hot team, and they are crushing a lot of cutters mostly. The fastball that Sanchez hit was up in the zone. Mountcastle hit a similar pitch for a long HR last night. We have to pitch better, and Burnes is the right guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Ben did not say the Brewers were cheating, or accuse them of anything. He said it looked like something was off, or something to that effect. I suppose you could take that how you want, but to me it was that Wells was tipping his pitches. Or perhaps our sequences are too predictable. IDK, but he did not accuse anyone of anything IMO. 

They are a hot team, and they are crushing a lot of cutters mostly. The fastball that Sanchez hit was up in the zone. Mountcastle hit a similar pitch for a long HR last night. We have to pitch better, and Burnes is the right guy. 

He definitely was talking about something  untoward. All of this came up, in him, speculating as to why there had been a bench clearing incident. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

He definitely was talking about something  untoward. All of this came up, in him, speculating as to why there had been a bench clearing incident. 

Exactly. He was definitely bringing something to light that he noticed while watching at home. I thought it was quite interesting and Kevin Brown did not want to touch that thought with a ten foot pole because there really wasn’t any follow up by him which also is odd.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

Tipping pitches is one thing.  Tipping location?    Phew!

How about when Santander homers on pitches at his ankles?   He must be cheating too.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Tipping pitches is one thing.  Tipping location?    Phew!

So in the age of pitchcoms…how would this be done? Does the pitchcom tell what type of pitch and the location as well? I assume so, I’ve just never used one. With any technology there is the ability to circumvent it and hack into its result. So is that happening here? Or can the batter hear the pitchcom?

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

So in the age of pitchcoms…how would this be done? Does the pitchcom tell what type of pitch and the location as well? I assume so, I’ve just never used one. With any technology there is the ability to circumvent it and hack into its result. So is that happening here? Or can the batter hear the pitchcom?

I think they probably call for location but I don’t know.  It seems catchers either give the target last second or give a false target but I assume pitch type and target would be given on pitch com.

I’m sure there’s a way to hack into the pitch com but after the controversy and penalties the Astros received I don’t think there’s a team dumb enough to try it and implement getting that information to the batter.   

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think they probably call for location but I don’t know.  It seems catchers either give the target last second or give a false target but I assume pitch type and target would be given on pitch com.

I’m sure there’s a way to hack into the pitch com but after the controversy and penalties the Astros received I don’t think there’s a team dumb enough to try it and implement getting that information to the batter.   

I mean, sure, but Manfred also protected the players so…anyway, that’s beside the point. I’m more interested in how this would be theoretically pulled off and to what extent it would be an advantage. The Sanchez at bat was strange so I’ll do a little research on pitchcoms and see if there’s anything there.

I mean, sure, but Manfred also protected the players so…anyway, that’s beside the point. I’m more interested in how this would be theoretically pulled off and to what extent it would be an advantage. The Sanchez at bat was strange so I’ll do a little research on pitchcoms and see if there’s anything there.

Last time it was the manager and GM punished.  Next time, the penalties will be more severe and players will be made examples of.  

I mean, if the batter could hear this…yeah that’d be a huge problem.

That’s for the pitcher, inside their hat.  Do you think they are dumb enough to have it that loud?   If the hitter could hear it, so could the ump and catcher and maybe some of the infielders and it would hurt the pitchers ears.  LOL

20 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I mean here a player is wearing it and during an interview, you can clearly hear it, so it’s louder than we think.

The pitcher is hearing it 60 feet away from the batter. 

There is no way the offense can hear it. Defeats the whole purpose.