Draft Day Bloopers

On 4/22/2024 at 9:49 AM, Tony-OH said:

The 2021 draft is looking a little sketchy and I remember not liking the outfield heavy approach to that draft. I had no issues with Cowser, but just didn't like taking that many outfielders in a row.

So Far Trimble, Rhodes and Donta Williams have not impressed and look like misses. 

Saying that, that draft has not produced much talent in that 2nd-through 4th rounds yet with RHP Bryce Miller (Mariners) the only one to put up some decent WAR. 

Still too early to call this draft anything yet, but it certainly looks like Cowser was a hit even when some thought he was an ovedraft.

Elias' ability to hit on 1st rounders is pretty amazing. So far, they really haven't missed and yes, I know they were top 5 up until last year's draft when they had the 17th overall pick and took Bradfield, but still impressive. 

Plus, I never do any real research on amateur players until the Orioles draft them. So I never have strong opinions against guys unless I can't understand their selection. 

You didn’t mention Norby, but he was a pretty solid 2nd round pick.  Agree those rounds 3-5 look sketchy.  

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You didn’t mention Norby, but he was a pretty solid 2nd round pick.  Agree those rounds 3-5 look sketchy.  

Well, he has hasn't done anything at the major league level yet and he still has defensive issues so we don't know whether he was a good 2nd round pick or not. 

I think the bat is going to play at the major league level, but I see him more as a major league regular bat, with sketchy defensive traits until he can master corner outfield.

But really my comment was more on the philosophy more than anything else. Looking at that draft, there's not a lot of guys who have made it to the majors or produced much in that 3-5 rounds yet.  

It's hard to find signable high school talent after the first couple of rounds unless a team can go overslot, especially now that these top players can make pretty good NIL money in college. They know they ca have a good college experience, and play in front of packed crowds for the top programs, rather than taking long bus rides to Savannah, GA to play in front of 700 people on a Tuesday night. 

So we're seeing a lot more college heavy drafts. Darrel Hernaiz is the only high school drafted player outside of the first round that has made the majors from an Elias draft. 

Now Mayo should be the second, but he of course was a COVID draft overslot.