Draft Day Bloopers

For pure amusement I’m posting some prior draft day comments by folks who think they know who we should be picking on draft day.   The first one is by @Ripken who had this to say after we had picked Kjerstad and Westburg with our first two picks.

image.thumb.png.248383aec0830af3f3ce9f4223f942be.png

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 2

• RZNJ changed the title to Draft Day Bloopers
2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

image.thumb.png.8f39ef0f855fc9b52ec002f105dcdada.png

Ton of pitchers have done well in that class.  And the best wasn't taken until pick 126. Plus quite a few are evidence in favor of SP aversion early in the draft.  Especially in a rebuild.

But Tork wasn't there at #2 and the actual guy wasn't listed as an option.

HK was a good pick.  Especially when packaged with Westburg and Mayo.

I wonder who has been the main decision maker with our drafts?  I'm sure Elias has some input but is he the one making these picks?  Or was it the National Cross Checker?  

Whoever it was has been doing an incredible job.  

Although I still wasn't thrilled with the Bradfield pick....   Hopefully this comment ages like milk too!!!

I have to laugh at some of my pre-draft thoughts as well as others. I will say on behalf of myself and some others is that what we did not understand then was what the Orioles brain trust knew to be their model, and what they best developed. What traits they were looking for is an important thing to know, in hindsight anyway.

And really, the Jackson Holliday leap in development was not something most of us heard anything about until about a month before the draft. I saw him the previous summer and I cannot say he was all that impressive, but it was only one look. His physicality took a big jump after that. 

I will also add that we’re never going to know what would have happened if they drafted Austin Martin, Jones, Lawler, Lacy, etc. Their development could well have been different as O’s.

The funny part of this board, in general, is the absolute certainty some have in their opinions and how eager they are to trash Elias and staff. There is plenty of humility to go around, now that things have played out. It’s fun to finally have a truly great front office and ownership group, and a stacked stable of horses. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:54 PM, btdart20 said:

Ton of pitchers have done well in that class.  And the best wasn't taken until pick 126. Plus quite a few are evidence in favor of SP aversion early in the draft.  Especially in a rebuild.

But Tork wasn't there at #2 and the actual guy wasn't listed as an option.

HK was a good pick.  Especially when packaged with Westburg and Mayo.

He certainly isn't a bust but I wasn't happy with the pick at the time and I don't love using the second overall pick for that type of player profile.

Westburg signed for slot so he's irrelevant but Mayo was a great use of the money saved.

The 2021 draft is looking a little sketchy and I remember not liking the outfield heavy approach to that draft. I had no issues with Cowser, but just didn't like taking that many outfielders in a row.

So Far Trimble, Rhodes and Donta Williams have not impressed and look like misses. 

Saying that, that draft has not produced much talent in that 2nd-through 4th rounds yet with RHP Bryce Miller (Mariners) the only one to put up some decent WAR. 

Still too early to call this draft anything yet, but it certainly looks like Cowser was a hit even when some thought he was an ovedraft.

Elias' ability to hit on 1st rounders is pretty amazing. So far, they really haven't missed and yes, I know they were top 5 up until last year's draft when they had the 17th overall pick and took Bradfield, but still impressive. 

Plus, I never do any real research on amateur players until the Orioles draft them. So I never have strong opinions against guys unless I can't understand their selection.