Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Talk about a guy stepping up.  Grayson who?   You couldn’t have asked for more from Suarez these last three outings.  

One think I really appreciate is the guy is very calm out there.  

Good thing he isn't in here.

15 hours ago, LA2 said:

As Hyde said in the post-game presser: "Really competes well. You know he bears down really, really well and there's not a whole lot of panic out there either and he's really, really under control. The game doesn't speed up on him."

And we've seen this first hand. He's just a cool character on that mound, and even when things are not going well, he doesn't seem to panic. He may be a 90-pitch starter, but he may even put that behind him a bit after hitting 97 on his 99th and final pitch yesterday. 

I really don't know where this team would be without him this year. Right now, he's the clear #3 starter on this team.

• Upvote 2

I was pretty psyched about getting him back in the bullpen, but he just hasn't looked right as a reliever when they've tried him there. So, the heck with that, the guy's a starter. I thought he might have been hitting a wall a month or so ago, but he seems to have found a second wind right when he was needed the most. 

Incredible story. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Suarez still leads MLB in HR/FB ratio at 5.2% among all Pitchers with 80 innings min. while also having a GB% of 34%, which is 12th worst out of 122. 

Is this skill or like batting average with RISP? Depends on some statcast info and exit velos I assume? 

7 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Is this skill or like batting average with RISP? Depends on some statcast info and exit velos I assume? 

I'm remembering back from something I read years ago, but generally fly ball pitchers have a lower HR/FB rate.

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Looks like StatCast has him at 8 expected HRs, as compared to the 6 he’s actually given up.

Using that number (I’ll actually use 8.4, as that’s the highest expected HR number I saw on his Savant page) and his number of fly balls yielded (116), that comes out to an “expected” HR/FB rate of 7.2%. That rate would still be top 10 in the league among the 122 pitchers with 80+ innings, so I think it’s fair to say that (so far) he has shown some genuine skill in limiting HRs.

Edited by e16bball

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I don't know if it correlates with statcast data or not, but he's league best in limiting HR's per Flyball.

55 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I don't know if it correlates with statcast data or not, but he's league best in limiting HR's per Flyball.

Is that to a certain extent a Walltimore effect?

On 8/19/2024 at 8:20 PM, LA2 said:

Is that to a certain extent a Walltimore effect?

No.  He’s .6 HR9 this year.  He’s .7 HR9 over his entire career (1524 ip).  That includes MLB, MiLB, & foreign. 

Not sure where we’d be without him this year.  Another great performance.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2024 at 1:39 PM, interloper said:

I was pretty psyched about getting him back in the bullpen, but he just hasn't looked right as a reliever when they've tried him there. So, the heck with that, the guy's a starter. I thought he might have been hitting a wall a month or so ago, but he seems to have found a second wind right when he was needed the most. 

Incredible story. 

Harkens back to the time of Miguel Gonzales, like Suarez, a reclamation project,Miguel won nearly 40 games for us over 3 seasons...was always solid..

• Upvote 1

He’s by far the greatest rags to riches story in baseball today. I would very much like to know the name of the scout who encouraged his signing. It’s such an incredible move and I’d love to see an interview done to both highlight that scout and their process.

• Upvote 2