Promote Liz

DocJJ

After one more dominant start.

Then, send him to Bowie. I know, everyone will yell "why rush him? Don't you know you can ruin a prospect by rushing him too soon?"...

My response is I've seen him pitch in Sarasota. He's untouchable. When he has his command and his mechanics on, you just can't hit him. He knows how to mix it up and change speeds. He knows how to paint the corners. Put him in Bowie and see what he can do. He's very confident. He doesn't need his confidence built against a bunch of guys he can mow down every game, he needs to be challenged.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, he still has to prove that he can consistently use his offspeed stuff and command all his pitches. He did a good job the first time out but so did Loewen before he got rocked the 2nd time out. Liz has to prove that he can have solid outings every time out.

I most certainly did NOT suggest this after Loewen's good outing. Loewen has ALWAYS been plagued by problems with his mechanics and bouts of wildness, since the day he signed. I did NOT get excited by his initial outing, because I knew he'd continue to be inconsistent.

you've got to be kidding, or you can't know alot about baseball..This time last year, he could not do well enough to stay at Delmarva. and now after 5 innings, you want to put him in Bowie. ? like the wise man said, "you've got to be kidding".

Liz was named player of the day by MiLB.com for his recent performance

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060413&content_id=57284&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

It looks the same article as the day before but it has a snazzy new title “Whiz kid Liz earns Star for part in no-hitter”. This is the second time Liz has been named star of the day.

One thing to keep in mind about Liz is that, although he is about 21, I am pretty sure last year was his first time pitching in a stadium setting. Prior to that he only pitched in organizational type settings and on sand lots.

He is an incredibly exciting player to watch pitch but I hope we don’t push him too fast through the system. I think he is still early on his learning curve and that we are going to be in for a bit of a roller coaster ride with him for a while longer.

Not to derail this thread but:

The best part about this whole discussion is the fact that we finally have a decent amount of young pitching talent and we are seeing encouraging results at the minor league level. I agree it might be a little early to talk about promotions but with a strong April and May I am sure he will be rewarded. I think we are going to have these discussions alot this year. :002_sbiggrin:

you've got to be kidding, or you can't know alot about baseball..This time last year, he could not do well enough to stay at Delmarva. and now after 5 innings, you want to put him in Bowie. ? like the wise man said, "you've got to be kidding".

Easy now, just because someone has different opinion is not a reason to say they know nothing about baseball.

"know nothing about baseball".... Thanks, I was having a bad day, but that helped to cheer me up...

Besides, I've seen him pitch in person. Can YOU say that?

John Sickels just listed Liz as one of his three AL Sleeper Prospects

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2006/4/15/13253/8587

Radhames Liz, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Liz is still something of a sleeper prospect but won't be for long. He threw five hitless innings in his first start for Frederick, striking out 13. A Dominican signed in 2003, Liz has a fastball clocked in the mid-90s. His strikeout rate was excellent in the low minors last year. His curveball and changeup are erratic, below average last season but reportedly improved this spring. His command still needs work, and guys like this can blow up on you quickly. But they can also blossom just as quickly. This is a potentially special pitcher.

Archived