Promote Liz

DocJJ

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad start for Liz tonight:

3 IP, 2 H, 5 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2006_06_03_kinafa_frdafa_1

He's allowed at least one homerun in each of his last four starts. In those starts he's allowed 5 homeruns in 20 IP. Overall numbers in his last four starts:

4.50 ERA, 20 IP, 17 H, 13 R, 10 ER, 15 BB, 18 K, 5 HRA

May 19th:

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 5 K, 1 HRA

May 24th:

6 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 8 K, 1 HRA

May 29th:

6 IP, 7 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 HRA

June 3rd:

3 IP, 2 H, 5 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA

He certainly hasn't been anywhere near as dominant as he was earlier in the season in his last few starts. Maybe he's going through a dead arm period or something?

Or they're figuring him out. Maybe he's tipping pitches or throwing them only in certain counts.Maybe he doesn't throw a certain pitch for strikes very much and the batters have learned to lay off of it. You'll note that the walks are way up too.

Or, it could be that he's been instructed to work on-say-the change-up more regardless of the game situation. And he could be getting burned as he refines that particular pitch. The K's have dropped a lot too, so maybe he's not using the fastball as much as he did.

Perhaps it's best to leave him down there for awhile till these things can be worked out.

I spoke to a friend close to the scene. Told me they want Liz to improve his change up and slider. Said batters are bailing on his slider then it hooks back across the plate. However his change up is not as strong. This isn't my analysis just what I was told. My take is they want to send him to AA with 3 solid pitches but in this orginization you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty quick to make that comment on a guy you've never seen pitch. Someone who some people liked better than Loewen this past offseason. Do you even know if he might be a better prospect than Loewen. Are you prepared to trade Loewen while his value might still be high?

They're the same age. If he was a better prospect why isn't he here now?

Archived